Undo issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

Undo issues

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:19 am

I have quite often problems with undoing things. For example today I was just copying an adio clip (acually duplicating it) and I went a few bars to far (arrangement view) and wanted to UNDO the lst copy and LIVE did not allowe me to do this. I had to close the projct without saving (no to loose overriden other clip) and go through duplacating again. Very frustrating.

Any ideas what governs this whole process, or why sometimes I cannot Undo things ?
I know once theproject is saved certain things cannot be undone but this this case it is just a 1-2 seconds between 1st and 2nd action so I really cannot figure out why ... this is not working as expected (?) Ant tips ?
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Undo issues

Post by [jur] » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 am

Any M4L device in your set?
Ableton Forum Moderator

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:56 am

Yes I use a few. In this one only ULTIMAP
Why ?
Sadarahu

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:22 am

Look at the undo option in the menu, it will be undoing something from your maxforlive devices.

Cheers
D

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:38 pm

what has M4L to do with duplicating a clip on an audio track (which has no M4L device on it) ?
This for example also happens when I modify an envelope and want to UNDO. Sometimes it does the job sometimes it does not, and when it does no it is very frustrating
Sadarahu

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Some max devices cause constant changes due to being internally modulated or something and this can sometimes affect the undo feature as live sees it as constantly making a change. This is a max issue, not live.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Some max devices cause constant changes due to being internally modulated or something and this can sometimes affect the undo feature as live sees it as constantly making a change. This is a max issue, not live.
No this is about non-optimized M4L devices actually. This can absolutely be avoided.
Ableton Forum Moderator

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:42 pm

This seems to happen on tracks which have no M4L. I do however have a one M4L device on my main track all the time and I would really hate to remove it.
Sadarahu

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:58 pm

Its got nothing to do with what's on the track, uno tracks all changes around your set, if the maxforlive device is making changes constantly it'll flood the undo information meaning you have to cycle past everything it's done to undo your change even though you've made no actions yourself.

Cheers
D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:15 pm
jestermgee wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:57 pm
No this is about non-optimized M4L devices actually. This can absolutely be avoided.
You only have to sacrifice MIDI Control and the ability to map more than one parameter to a GUI element.
And debug every single device that uses live.object. And in some cases the extra Undo events are because of js-api calls.

Examples:
Creative Extensions - Melodic Steps: Creates 2 Undo events when loaded.
Max for Cats - Bengal: Creates 2 Undo events when loaded.
Connection Kit - Arduino: Creates 3 Undo events when loaded.
Connection Kit - Camera: Creates 3 Undo events when loaded.

I can keep going, but the main takeaway is that those Undo Events that seemingly do nothing, actually break the connections within the device and may be lost if you save after a faulty undo.
If you have multiple of these devices, opening a set creates multiple of these harmful Undo events at load.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:49 pm
You only have to sacrifice MIDI Control and the ability to map more than one parameter to a GUI element.
And debug every single device that uses live.object. And in some cases the extra Undo events are because of js-api calls.

Examples:
Creative Extensions - Melodic Steps: Creates 2 Undo events when loaded.
Max for Cats - Bengal: Creates 2 Undo events when loaded.
Connection Kit - Arduino: Creates 3 Undo events when loaded.
Connection Kit - Camera: Creates 3 Undo events when loaded.

I can keep going, but the main takeaway is that those Undo Events that seemingly do nothing, actually break the connections within the device and may be lost if you save after a faulty undo.
If you have multiple of these devices, opening a set creates multiple of these harmful Undo events at load.
That's correct, and this is filled... for a long time.
Ableton Forum Moderator

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Buffer Shuffler also outputs lots of changes to the undo history if you have the auto-dice feature enabled.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push