Recoding from computer back into interface

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dusty4444

Recoding from computer back into interface

Post by dusty4444 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:55 pm

Hello

So I want to record random stuff for sampes off the internet without having to use Sample packs or download videos. So can anyone tell me if this would work or is this just an endless input/Output loops. I just want to run the output of my Computer headphone jack into a adapter into quarter inch jack into my Scarlet Interface front panel then record into ableton. I just want to record endless audio of videos,commercials etc. Im worried the output of Ableton will just go keep looping through back into the interface . How would I set this up?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Recoding from computer back into interace

Post by [jur] » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 am

Your audio interface might offer you a mixer software that allows you to do this kind of routing internally.
You can also use a soft like Soundflower.
Ableton Forum Moderator

gross9978

Post by gross9978 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 am

Audio hijack is another good one for doing it in the box. I usually just plug my phone into my audio interface and sample off the internet that way.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 pm

dusty4444 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:55 pm
Hello

So I want to record random stuff for sampes off the internet without having to use Sample packs or download videos. So can anyone tell me if this would work or is this just an endless input/Output loops. I just want to run the output of my Computer headphone jack into a adapter into quarter inch jack into my Scarlet Interface front panel then record into ableton. I just want to record endless audio of videos,commercials etc. Im worried the output of Ableton will just go keep looping through back into the interface . How would I set this up?
Are you on Mac or PC.

Macs can do it pretty easy with Soundflower.

PCs there are paid apps like Total Record. it is like $20, but there might be free stuff out now.

My Scarlett 18i20 does it with a loopback virtual input.

dusty4444

Post by dusty4444 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 pm
dusty4444 wrote:
Hello

Are you on Mac or PC.

PCs there are paid apps like Total Record. it is like $20, but there might be free stuff out now.

IM on a MAc. How would I set this up . AM I right thinking it would just be an endless Input Output Loop? Do I need a piece of software to change the routing. What if the general output of my MAC goes into my Interface then back into ableton but I disable the output of Ableton ?

dusty4444

Post by dusty4444 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:14 pm

gross9978 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:32 am
Audio hijack is another good one for doing it in the box. I usually just plug my phone into my audio interface and sample off the internet that way.
What if I just have the general output of my computer ( internet etc ) running out , then into by Interface . Then since that is USB'd to my Mac , I record into Ableton ,but then just disable the master out of Ableton? Is that possible. That way its not an endless loop.

gross9978

Post by gross9978 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:08 pm

That might work, try it out and see?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:03 pm

dusty4444 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:12 pm
jlgrimes wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:30 pm
dusty4444 wrote:
Hello

Are you on Mac or PC.

IM on a MAc. How would I set this up . AM I right thinking it would just be an endless Input Output Loop? Do I need a piece of software to change the routing. What if the general output of my MAC goes into my Interface then back into ableton but I disable the output of Ableton ?

Check out Soundflower.

It is free and relatively simple to use with some good online tutorials.