Recording latency issue??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Octopusbird

Recording latency issue??

Post by Octopusbird » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:19 pm

If I record the click- it's off beat in the audio file by a slight amount to the right. (Not on grid exactly)

I've tried changing the "driver error compensation" to many different values and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

What is going on?

Octopusbird

Re: Recording latency issue??

Post by Octopusbird » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am

Okay so I "fixed" the problem. But now I've got another problem...

Is the only way to have a track recorded with delay compensation is to have the monitoring off? Why can't I monitor through the software and then it just compensates for the soundcard delay time as it does when monitoring is off?

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:58 am

Possibly because the delay compensation moves already recorded events forward in time and Live isn’t a time machine so doesn’t know what or when you’re going to play something before you play it?
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Octopusbird wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:21 am

Is the only way to have a track recorded with delay compensation is to have the monitoring off? Why can't I monitor through the software and then it just compensates for the soundcard delay time as it does when monitoring is off?
Ableton explained this reasoning awhile ago as saying with monitoring already on, the user will "self compensate" for latency issues as he/she will already hear latency and compensate by playing a little earlier.

I dont know how practical their reasoning is in your case though.

I'm assuming you are either using ASIO drivers on a PC or Core Audio on Mac (anything else could cause issues)

What soundcard are you using?

Are your drivers up to date?

Have you tried ASIO4ALL If on PC?

Have you tried using the Native Mac Core Audio drivers (if on Mac. Might not have a choice here)

I used to have this issue alot in the 2000s but this issue doesn't seem to be as common as it once was. The issue is usually the interface/soundcard is reporting the wrong latency to Ableton, so most likely your interface isnt measuring latency correctly.

Octopusbird

Post by Octopusbird » Fri May 01, 2020 5:42 pm

jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Octopusbird wrote:

Ableton explained this reasoning awhile ago as saying with monitoring already on, the user will "self compensate" for latency issues as he/she will already hear latency and compensate by playing a little earlier.

I'm assuming you are either using ASIO drivers on a PC or Core Audio on Mac (anything else could cause issues)

Have you tried using the Native Mac Core Audio drivers (if on Mac. Might not have a choice here)

I used to have this issue alot in the 2000s but this issue doesn't seem to be as common as it once was. The issue is usually the interface/soundcard is reporting the wrong latency to Ableton, so most likely your interface isnt measuring latency correctly.
Hi! Thanks, just saw this for some reason. I tried ASIO4ALL same problem. Using ASIO and I believe the problem gets worse if I have monitoring on *and* a lot of plugins. I'm using a Focusrite Clarret 4pre and myinterface drivers are all up to date.

It is a problem with how the Clarret (or something) seems to be relaying how much latency there is. But the delay compensation in the Preferences menu does not seem to work at all.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Octopusbird wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:42 pm
jlgrimes wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Octopusbird wrote:

Hi! Thanks, just saw this for some reason. I tried ASIO4ALL same problem. Using ASIO and I believe the problem gets worse if I have monitoring on *and* a lot of plugins. I'm using a Focusrite Clarret 4pre and myinterface drivers are all up to date.

It is a problem with how the Clarret (or something) seems to be relaying how much latency there is. But the delay compensation in the Preferences menu does not seem to work at all.

On the interface I had I found that if using a low buffer setting the problem wasn't noticable.

I use the focusrite Scarlett 3rd gen and it seems to work fine (or I never noticed it and I record guitars and vocals mainly).

Have you tried a different DAW? (Reaper, Cakewalk, Waveform, Garageband, Ardour)

I listed free (or freeish) DAWS as it is a good way to see if Ableton is the problem or your interface.

upnano

Post by upnano » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:10 am

There is a youtube video on the "seed to stage" channel about recording latency with monitoring "off" vs. "in/auto".
You can see in the comments that many users got their eyes opened.
The video is suggesting a workaround using two input tracks, one for recording (off) and one for monitoring (auto).

Not sure if there are use cases where one wants to have the recording delayed, if monitoring is enabled.

Couldn't the correction that is applied in "off" mode be applied in "in/auto" mode too, at least as an option?

The workaround is suboptimal, not what I would expect from Ableton Live.