Macbook pro + Live 10 issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Skhaila

Macbook pro + Live 10 issues

Post by Skhaila » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Guys, this is a very frustating issue for me, I hope someone can help as I bought this laptop specifically to work on music but these issues that make it impossible to work:

A) Audio dropouts (at any buffer rate / sample rate)
B) Battery drainage while macbook pro is plugged into a wall charger.
When I exit ableton and wait a few moments, the computer starts charging again.

I think these two issues above are related to one another.

Please see my following setup:
- 2018 Macbook pro 13" | 4 USB-C ports || 2.7 GHZ quad core intel 17 | 16GB ram
- macOS Catalina 10.15.1
- Apollo twin audio interface > Apple thunderbolt to USB-C converter

Please help

Shift Gorden

Re: Macbook pro + Live 10 issues

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:37 pm

This is interesting. I have recent had dropouts - well, more like it stops playing and then starts again...and I have battery drain while plugged in to the wall.

I got a 2016 MBP - similar specs to yours (including the 4 USB C ports).

I, too, have a UAD Apollo - the X4 version (so very similar to you). This is driving me nuts. I’ve noticed the power drain when I have a few plugins going at the same time - doesn’t drain if I just have one track or something going on.

I am guessing the problem is either Live drawing too much power, the shitty USB C ports, and/or the Apollo and its mixer software. As you can tell, I am clueless!

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 pm

Ahhh, here’s a thing. I have noticed the fan on my Mac going nuts-o. I bet it’s related.

Another thing - you hooked up to external monitors? I’m hooked up to 2 4K monitors, and apparently that can impact energy consumption too. I might try switching to 1080p mode.

johidi

Post by johidi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 am

I almost hate working with Live because of the Mac fans. Idk, it just irritates me so much. Similar project in Logic and I usually have no issues with the fan, unless using a vst like Diva or something. Live on the other hand, 20% into the project like Logic and the fan is blasting LOUD. I can't even do vocals in the same room, because it is that loud.

I do feel this is Ableton Live issues, not the mac so much. I get it Logic is optimized by Ableton, but this seems like the fans are blasting way before they need to. I have a i9 with Radean Pro Vega 20 on the latest Live version. I paid top dollar for this laptop and it is frustrating that it is still not enough for Ableton.

I honestly think the only time I do hear the IS only in Ableton Live. I don't think I can remember any other app turning the fan on that loud, ever.

Anyone else find any solutions. I was wondering if updating to Catalina would help. I've been hesitant to because of some VSTs yet not being ready, but at this point I am willing to if this issue is somewhat better. I've tried using the apps that allow you to manually switch from graphics to on board. Honestly, I've been hesitent because I am scared I won't switch in time and cause damage by overheating because of stupid negligence.

jobinho

Post by jobinho » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:58 am

I'm researching buying a new Mac to upgrade from my 2013 iMac i7, which has been great but is getting on.

My main takeaway is to not buy a MacBook Pro. They simply don't have the chassis size to provide sufficient cooling for the kind of processors modern producers demand.

Buy an iMac or something with a larger body and it will solve 90% of fan / thermal issues.

pale1

Post by pale1 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Maybe this could solve some of you problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkmdHVfk4XE&t=282s

Could be worth a shot.
Regards
Macbook
Rme babyface pro
push 2
Genelec 1030A
Analogue gear
Stuff amassed through time

http://www.soundcloud.com/foss
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsEWQB ... smHhob59Xg

ZHONE

Post by ZHONE » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 am

This has also been happening for me. I just bought a brand new Macbook 16inch with the 8-core i9 today. I am experiencing constant audio dropouts with heavy Ableton sessions. Really bummed I hope there is a solution out there or I may be returning...

Kyleski

Post by Kyleski » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:13 am

ZHONE, I have the same model MacBook (and already returned one.) I am experiencing the same issue! This is beyond frustrating for a "top of the line" computer. Did you ever receive any clarification from Ableton or Apple? I am having vocal drop out errors just after adding my 2nd track.. that's pathetic. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!