X-Touch and Ableton 10 Channel select issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
passionmax

X-Touch and Ableton 10 Channel select issue

Post by passionmax » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 pm

I am using a Behringer X-Touch
Basically if I am using the control surface and I am on track 1. If I select any track in Ableton and move the volume it will move the motorized fader with in the tracks 1-8. If I select track 24 for example in Ableton. The control surface did not jump to that track. If I move faders it would still be moving tracks 1-8. I would have to manually bank over on the x-touch until the faders popped into position of the track within track 24. Very frustrating. This might be a Ableton issue with MCU or HUI. But it worked perfectly fine in Logic.

Here is a YouTube link. If you look at 2:23 seconds. You can see that when the guy highlights the Perc 2 track which looks like track 9. The fader is not selected because it is out of that bank range. But the tracks 1-8 are selected for each click in Ableton.

I know this is a mouthful. But I am trying to find a solution.

https://youtu.be/fsNJfUGiAtk

jestermgee

Re: X-Touch and Ableton 10 Channel select issue

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 am

This is normal in Live.

The MCU protocol doesn't shift your page banks so you have to bank manually on the controller. Always been that way, just have to get use to how it works I guess.

passionmax

Post by passionmax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:44 am

Thanks for the info. What if I have 3 units for 32 tracks. Are the 2 extenders going to even work if Ableton only sees 1 bank. or will it bank by 32 channels groups or shift by 8?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 am

The MCU (or compatible devices) will see all the channels in live via the page banks in groups of 8 without issue, you just need to manually page through them to the correct bank of 8 for the area you are in your mix.

I have a Mackie MCU which functions the same way, I don't have extenders, but I would guess that once setup it just extends the page range to 16 instead of 8 so now your pages will be in banks of 16. If you have 2 extenders that is 24 channels (not 32) and I am unsure if more than 2 extenders are even supported.

Burgundy

Post by Burgundy » Sun May 31, 2020 9:27 pm

Hi,
I have a question kind of relating to this post....
I am using an X Touch but want to assign tracks manually rather than them being automaticaly assigned, is that possible?
Thanks

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun May 31, 2020 9:43 pm

No.

It simply takes the track order in Live and displays this at the controller. It is designed to just be plug-n-play and work like a mixing desk would. If you need to display tracks in a specific order, you need to order them in Live

Burgundy

Post by Burgundy » Sun May 31, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks for your reply and help.
How would I go about ordering tracks in Live so only the ones I want appear on the X Touch?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:14 am

Well the Xtouch is just a MCU controller and uses that protocol which is not designed for custom designing things the way you want. It just takes what you have on screen and applies to hardware, like Push does.

If you don't want tracks on the MCU you would need to just move them to the right side of your project so your desired tracks appear on the left of screen and hence, on the tracks on the hardware. If you don't want to see the tracks further to the right, just don't scroll that far. You can also place tracks into groups and the controller will only show what is inside the group if you expand it.

Burgundy

Post by Burgundy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Thanks, those are very useful suggestions.
I was experimenting with using the X Touch after switching off MC mode so it's a blank canvas, it works OK, no scribble strips and I don't know where or how some of the navigations can be mapped to MIDI for instance moving from scene to scene or scrolling through affects, any suggestions? Is there a list or map showing where these things are?
Thanks again.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:09 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t personally have an expensive controller and disable the core reason for having it to just use common midi mode so no further suggestions.

arthe

Post by arthe » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:47 am

Hi guys!

Hi guys! Here someone left an updated script for using all tracks in behringer x touch one in case it works for them viewtopic.php?f=4&t=243388&p=1797201#p1797201

Cheers