Ableton! The GUI lags are still NOT SOLVED! How long are we supposed to wait for the fix?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mathew47

Re: Ableton! The GUI lags are still NOT SOLVED! How long are we supposed to wait for the fix?

Post by Mathew47 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 am

SAME ISSUES HERE! The program is unusable...

Not much and im fucking done with that company im telling you ableton!!!

My earlier specs were I7 7700k 4x3.6 Ghz with 16 Gb Ram and a crappy 4gb palit videocard.

I could drive the CPU beyond hundred percent (in abletons CPU viewer), with the sound crackling of course.

Nowerdays i have an I9 9900K 8x4.7 Ghz 32 Gb Ram and a GTX 1660 6 Gb and the program performs so miserable.

Right now the sound is completely intact, CPU at max 60 percent (Abletons Current CPU view mode) but the GUI is so fucking laggy. I pressed pause like 10 minutes ago and still plays back the audio!!! I remember this shit starting when they did an upgrade on Live 10!

Really!!! Already looking for another DAW, everything on my computer runs super smooth even right now i could use 3 programms at once while ableton is in the background lagging.

FIX THIS NOW (NOW!!!!) or im out! And sending you my project doesnt seem to be helping because so many people already did and nothing happened. FUCK THIS SHIT!

mng70

Re: Ableton! The GUI lags are still NOT SOLVED! How long are we supposed to wait for the fix?

Post by mng70 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Mine behaves in a similar way. Also running a Nvidia GTX card .. this time the 1060 6GB

If I turn off the VU meters in session view the GUI runs smooth but I don't know how to get the arrangement view without the VU so it remains choppy there.

I've currently got a support request regarding this so will share any progress I have.

Street Spirit

Post by Street Spirit » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Yeah seems that when Live puts out a new version, like from 9 to 10. you can see the extra ram being used. Probably has to do with the collections or indexing, idk. But for sure have also had graphics issues, with my old intel GPU. Was a little smoother in 9, but 10 its just clunky the word i would use.

mistrust

Post by mistrust » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:23 am

I've just posted a similar issue (and a solution) here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=243735 where the Live 11 GUI hangs when I start recording audio. I thought it was because I'm using an old laptop with integrated graphics, but it looks like there are problems with dedicated graphics processors too! My problem was only happening in Arrangement view, where Live was drawing the waveform for the audio that was being recorded. It didn't happen in Session view where it doesn't draw the waveform. My workaround was to minimise the height of the audio track that was being recorded so Live wasn't have to draw the waveform on the fly. It's a bit of a hassle having to do that but it might be a solution. Ableton definitely need to sort out. It never happened in Live 10!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Please always report this type of things to support@ableton.com with details about your setup.
And sorry for the hassle.
Ableton Forum Moderator

mng70

Post by mng70 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:12 am

mng70 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:08 pm
Mine behaves in a similar way. Also running a Nvidia GTX card .. this time the 1060 6GB

If I turn off the VU meters in session view the GUI runs smooth but I don't know how to get the arrangement view without the VU so it remains choppy there.

I've currently got a support request regarding this so will share any progress I have.
An update to my previous post. My problem was solved when I removed the remote script for NI Machine.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:11 pm

TRBTBEI wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:01 pm
Ableton,

the GUI lags are absolutely unacceptable! How long we have to wait until the GUI does not lag while recording???

It's been months or years and the issue is still present! I am seriously running out of patience!

How am I supposed to actually record my live jams when the GUI starts lagging the moment I start recording in an empty project??

Not to mention that the larger or complicated the project gets or when the arrangement grows to an hour or more and it becomes absolutely impossible to control Live! I am then not able to fluidly adjust any parameter because the GUI lags the mouse movement and parameter changes too!

Seriously, any news on this?? Finally??

I payed a lot of money for a product I cannot fully use.

I have even built a new powerful computer dedicated just for music making and it's still the same issue!

What am I supposed to do now when a software for top money practically does not allow me to do the most basic thing a music making should do flawlessly - recording.

I am really frustrated and desperate. Please, fix this ASAP. F**k the new features, this issue has to have an absolute priority.

I have even spent months with Ableton support about this issue and they were not able to help me. The support asked the most basic stuff Microsoft support would do. Useless.

EDIT:

OK, here is the debug project, guys:

I would be grateful if you could record it on video so that we can see how much variability this issue has.

https://tinyurl.com/qpgtjkn

Instructions:

1) Go to Session view
2) Run the scene "DEBUG"
3) Everything should be fluid, no lags
4) With the scene running, start the arrangement recording from the session view (the timeline should be 141.X.X when the recording starts - this could be important, so please, pay attention to that).
5) Observe the lags.
6) Try to selectively remove automation, routing, FX etc and see how much it helps.
7) Report here, please, thank you!

My video of the problem, reproduced on three different machines with sufficient specs:

https://tinyurl.com/r5omk6m

I had this problem on Mac computers. On PCs I don't run into this particular issue at all.

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:25 pm

YEAR 2021
Ableton Live 11 Suite

Today I have followed up on exactly the same problem as you wrote in the original post. However, for Ableton Live 11 Suite.
The post can be viewed here, including a video with a sample.

check the topic please, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=244133
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2
https://music.debianium.com

benmuetsch

Post by benmuetsch » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:59 pm

On macOS Catalina I also still experience GUI lags :cry:

EQ8 triggers it certainly, but even in projects where I tried not to use EQ8 at all, the GUI freezes occasionally for 1 / 2 / 3 seconds. :roll:

Freiin

Post by Freiin » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 am

Same here.

Windows 11
Ryzen 5

All drivers are up to date.

Cubase runs great
Even Bitwig runs great

Ableton lags the GUI with my large orchestral projects

:/

tomasmark79

Post by tomasmark79 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:46 am

Have fun. Working in Ableton 11 is basically a production self-destruction that took me 3 years. Go to BitWig (I'm not a promoter) but a three-year-old Ableton user who started liking himself. Everything you would like to have in Ableton is hidden in Bitwig. I didn't believe it until I was forced to try it myself and give it a chance for a few hours. I'm clear now. Don't be stupid.
CPU AMD 9 3900X / CHIPSET AMD X570 / 32GB RAM 3200Mhz / GPU Nitro+ SE RX6900XT16GB / SSD 3TB, HDD 4TB / WIN10 20H2
https://music.debianium.com

AliiMusic

Post by AliiMusic » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:17 am

was this issue ever fixed? i am currently on live 11.1.5 and still this happens my cpu is hitting 8%... bout ready to quit music due to this

running 32gbs of ram and a 2070 super with a 16 core i9

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:09 am

This won't help you regrettably:

I have absolutely no lagging GUI issues on my i9 Win 10 system.

So please report your issues to the support - otherwise they don't 'exist'.

Gifplaat

SOLVED GUI lag issues

Post by Gifplaat » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:22 am

I had the same GUI lag issue. It wasn't constantly but occured once every 5 mins or so. It was unbearable to work with.
I managed to get rid of this problem by removing a plugin: Native Instruments Kontakt Player. After deleting the vst from the plugins folder, Abletons GUI was running smooth again.

So there might be a plugin that is causing the lag, even when you are not using that plugin in the project. I think Ableton somehow still pre-load some scripts from some plugins when starting up, which might causing the issues when running the program.

Try to remove some plugins from the Plugin folder and see if the lag goes away, it might also work in your case!

Rivanni

Re: SOLVED GUI lag issues

Post by Rivanni » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:54 pm

Gifplaat wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:22 am

Try to remove some plugins from the Plugin folder and see if the lag goes away, it might also work in your case!
Hold down the ALT key while launching Live. This will disable all plugins so you can easily test if the performance is better without plugins.