Some VST UIs appear blank/white

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
levins7

Re: Some VST UIs appear blank/white

Post by levins7 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:13 am

Hello everyone, it took me a long time to find the solution to this, and I come to share my joy, everything is in the following link. It was the solution to quite a few plugins, I hope it also serves you.

https://gist.github.com/rb-dahlb/26f316 ... 44ee69f0d1

AlexD333

Post by AlexD333 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:12 am

On windows 10 I solved this by doing 2 things (exact same issue; it seems to be certain plugins don’t like 2nd monitors that have different resolutions: My ueberschall elastik plug-in, some of my slates and some of my waves (and a few others) would do this: i would drag the plug-in window over to the second monitor while keeping my ableton session on my primary monitor. The plugin interface would function fine on the second monitor until I closed the plug-in window. If I tried to open it again, I would get a blank white window, and ableton would hang, causing a full crash. And it was repeatable with certain plug-ins consistently.

It is not unique to ableton; people have been having issues in reaper, Cubase , logic, fruity loops and others.

I solved it like this (Number two is going to be the most likely fix)

1) I disabled my GE force experience overlay and quit the Nvidia tray monitor programs (I don’t think that was the real issue).

2) The one that seems to be fixing most people’s issue is finding a way to uninstall an application which is in your windows system32 folder: system32/DriverStore/Filerepository/a-volute….(some incredibly long name). Anything related to “NAhimic” should be uninstalled. You don’t really need it for anything as far as I know. You might have to run your task manager and kill any processes or tasks that are using the service. Just sort alphabetically and disable or quit anything that has Nahemic in the name. I actually had to go into my config file and disable that service from automatically starting up when I logged into windows. As long as your computer is running it in the background you probably won’t be able to delete it from the system32 folder

After I did this and rebooted, my plug-in windows behaved nicely on the second monitor, opening and closing as they should. If you want more information check out some of the Cubase and Logic forms were this has also been discussed.

Sau6on

Post by Sau6on » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:38 pm

Blank / white VST's UI is looks like an indication of a deeply rooted problem within Live - These issues started in Live 10, got ported to 11, and are giving symptoms such as blank/disapearing VST UI's, overall lag-loss of responsiveness, UI frame-rate drop.... all of these are negatively impacting the workflow of mid-sized sets, and the possibility to stay and remain in the creative mood within Live.

See these videos :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3sai444faogsm ... 3.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7i9gpdkd8tspn ... 0.mp4?dl=0

The way Live handles anything graphical seems to be the problem. I remember reading in a dev forum that apparently, even on the windows version of Live, some "AU" cpu core allocation restrictions had been ported to the windows version! essentially preventing UI rendering to be evenly spread accross multiple cores, creating a bottleneck-like effect at some point in your set, the heavier it got. Why this restriction would be ported to windows and for VST is quite franckly beyond me.

Sushea

Post by Sushea » Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:31 am

I am also having this issue. It is SUPER frustrating to see this has been an open topic for over 2 years and Ableton still has not addressed it. I am on the verge of being forced to another platform, shame I've wasted so much money on this new version that's a serious POS with no valuable support.

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:31 pm

Are your graphics drivers up to date? Updating graphics drivers can often help a lot of graphics issues.