Some VST UIs appear blank/white

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jbone1313

Some VST UIs appear blank/white

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:14 am

I have recently noticed some VSTs are showing up with a blank/white UI. In this case, the controls and UI are invisible and unusable.

It seems like VSTs that use OpenGL have this issue.

The issue happens after reloading a saved set with the offending VST.

Specific repro steps:
1. Create a new set
2. Load a plugin using OpenGL, like, e.g., Soothe2.
3. Save the set
4. Reload the set
5. Open the VST

Expected results: VST opens properly; controls are usable
Actual results: VST windows opens with a blank/white screen

I have tried: Rebooting, updating Live, updating VSTs, updating graphics card drivers, both integrated and non-integrated graphics, and more. None helps.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

jbone1313

Re: Some VST UIs appear blank/white

Post by jbone1313 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:49 am

Update: If I delete the plugin and then hit undo to bring it back, it works.

Time to create a support ticket.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:38 am

Yeah happens with some plugins, not just in Live. Air Music plugins are bad for this. If you load a plugin, close the window and open it again the window is just white

qbikmusik

Post by qbikmusik » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 am

Were you able to find a solution for this? Ive been having the same problem except whenever I try to close the plugin it crashes ableton :/

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 am

qbikmusik wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 am
Were you able to find a solution for this? Ive been having the same problem except whenever I try to close the plugin it crashes ableton :/
This thread is about plugin GUI being white/blank not crashing.

If you are closing a plugin and it crashes Live, prob need to know your OS, Version, Live Version and plugin + plugin version you have issues with

qbikmusik

Post by qbikmusik » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 am

jestermgee wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:15 am
qbikmusik wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 am
This thread is about plugin GUI being white/blank not crashing.

If you are closing a plugin and it crashes Live, prob need to know your OS, Version, Live Version and plugin + plugin version you have issues with
Im talking about the GUI being white/blank, im just saying when I try to close it due to the fact that its blank and white, it crashes Ableton

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:22 pm

What plugin/s?
What version of Live?
What OS?

Details may help you get some better answers

Low-Lit

Post by Low-Lit » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:00 am

I have the exact same issue described above when using Pigments VST. Pigments can be loaded in initially, but it seems to fail when opening up its configuration window while producing audio and window will appear white. Attempting to close the Pigments window will cause Ableton to crash. Easily replicable. Running Ableton in admin mode does not solve the issue.

Ableton Live 10.1.25
Windows 10 Pro

Crash dump summary exception code 0xC0000005 "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access"

diazo

Post by diazo » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:16 am

I am having the same issue with pigment. It opens up all white, I can play notes but if I close it ableton crashes.
Also happens with Replika from native.

Also Live 10.1.25 and Windows 10 pro.
I've reached out to arturia but they haven't gotten back to me.

Samyan

Post by Samyan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:29 am

I also am experiencing the same issue.
Arturia's Pigments2 VST loads up
But then no GUI is shown only the window with blank white screen. The sound plays when I push my keys...
But if I do anything else (close the VST windows or hit any part of it) the Ableton itself crashes....
Frustrating...
Please help

nl.logix

Post by nl.logix » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:55 pm

I have the same problem with a few plugs ins in dual screen mode. I had it since August and I still haven't found a fix.

Massive X, Nexus, probably more but I stopped using dual screen.

Seems to be a resolution problem. I just don't have a fix.

WIn 10 Ableton 10.25

midijunkie

Post by midijunkie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:57 pm

FOR ANYONE THAT'S HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS (since this thread basically gave no solution)

If you have multiple displays, try unplugging the display cables from your computer and use just one display, that helped me with this EXACT issue.

Also run a scan of your Windows install and make sure there aren't any important files missing or corrupted, also make sure that your graphical drivers are up to date and what not IF you know that it isn't because of a multiple display issue.

fzerl

Post by fzerl » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I have the same issue. Very frustrating because I bought a second monitor specifically for Ableton Live use. This bug is absolutely bizarre.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 pm

I use 3 displays, no issues with any plugins and I have 300 synth plugins I use. The only ones I ever have issues with is Air Instrument plugins where on first open they are fine but close and re-open the plugin and it is a white display. Since I use a Komplete Kontrol keyboard this isn't a huge issue as it works and I can control it from the keyboard.

No issues with any of the others mentioned here (Nexus2 and Nexus3 are both fine).

Issue appears to be in plugins, not Live, so what OS are you on, plugins affected...etc?

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 pm

FTR, the issue I had in the OP turned out to be a bug in a plugin, which was fixed by the vendor.