Audio inputs not working, yet outputs working fine???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Kid Blast

Audio inputs not working, yet outputs working fine???

Post by Kid Blast » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 am

I have a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 Firewire interface set up as an input and output device in the audio preferences of Ableton Live. All audio inputs and outputs are correctly configured in the Ableton Live preferences (see attached photo).

When I connect mics or instruments to the inputs I can see the signal going in on the meters on the front of the Ultralite’s interface, but when I select the appropriate input setting on the channel in Ableton Live it doesn’t show the signal coming in.

I have reinstalled the driver for the MOTU interface, but it is still the same.

I know the audio interface is working, because it sends audio out from individual channels to the required outputs, and I have also opened Guitar Rig 5 as a standalone app and selected the Ultralite as the input, and that works fine. The problem seems to be that the signal is not transmitting between the Ultralite and Ableton, but only on the inputs, not the outputs.

I have previously recorded audio in many times, but for some reason now it just will not work. Is there something simple I am missing?

I am running Ableton Live 10.1.9 on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 on a Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16Gb of ram

Kid Blast

Re: Audio inputs not working, yet outputs working fine???

Post by Kid Blast » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Sorry for bumping this, but I'm desperate to get to the bottom of this problem

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:48 pm

Have you opened the mixer app for the interface to make sure the routings and levels are all correct? Sometimes you can have signal in but there could be a mixer setting that prevents it from routing into a daw. Everything appears ok from your screen shot in Live so i'd be looking into your interface settings

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Unrelated, but In the pic, that 205 in the Driver Error Compensation, usually it should be at zero.
♥♥♥

Kid Blast

Post by Kid Blast » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:45 pm

I have tried this with another audio interface, this time my Roland MX-1, but it is not receiving audio from this either, and I have correctly configured all of the inputs in the audio preferences. I can only surmise that this is a problem with Ableton Live rather than the audio interfaces.

Has anyone else ever had this issue, or overcome it?

kp

Post by kp » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:25 pm

Hello.

So if have this right you are seeing activity in your MOTU inputs but not in Ableton, yet output from Ableton is coming out of your MOTU. It could be how your audio intput and output devices are set up in MacOS.

Try checking your Audio/MIDI Setup settings (app of same name in Applications). On the left hand side of the Audio Devices window (the default view I think) you will see your built-in microphone, output, your MOTU and any other devices that handle audio. Perhaps the Built-in mic has been selected as the device for Audio input?

Good luck.

Kid Blast

Post by Kid Blast » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 am

As you can see below the MOTU Ultralite and MX-1 appear to be set up correctly, but on the inputs for both of them the faders are locked to the left and greyed out, so I can't adjust them, and I can't click the Mute or Thru boxes either.

kp

Post by kp » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 am

I think your Audio Devices set up is OK - just checked mine and the faders, mute, thru are all greyed out for my interface - which has its own driver rather than been class compliant (like the motu?).

I had one of those MOTUs for a while, post some pics of the mixer interface as jestermgee suggested - could be something's not quite right there.

Kid Blast

Post by Kid Blast » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 am

I don't think it is the interface, as my Roland MX-1 set up as the interface doesn't work either. Is it worth me doing a full reinstall of Ableton Live?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 pm

As mentioned, it's probably a setting in the mixer app for your sound card, it's looks like you have everything in Live set up correctly so reinstalling isn't going to do anything.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Kid Blast

Post by Kid Blast » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:07 pm

But in this case the MX-1 is the sound card sending audio in, but it isn't registering in Ableton Live, just like the audio in from the MOTU box isn't registering in Ableton Live, which makes me think it is something else? Especially as when I use both the MX-1 and the MOTU box as audio interfaces to the Guitar Rig standalone app, they work perfectly. The audio routes to other applications, just not Ableton Live.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:49 pm

No idea then, you might try contacting support@ableton.com. Make sure you're using the latest drivers for the MOTU and MX-1 first, as they will be the first thing they ask you to do given that you have exclamation marks next to the drivers in Live's preferences showing there's an issue there.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Kid Blast

Post by Kid Blast » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

I have even installed Ableton Live, the MOTU and MX-1 drivers on another partition and they work fine, as well as with the internal microphone, but for some reason on my main studio partition the internal microphone doesn't even register with Ableton Live. So frustrating. I'll email support.

Thanks for everyones help and replies :-D

Parisongs

Post by Parisongs » Fri May 01, 2020 5:51 pm

I have the same issue. My audio works great into Cubase but not into Live. Audio out working in Live just fine. Live does not detect the audio coming in. All drivers updated 9.7.7. Nothing. I emailed support a week ago and they replied that they are very behind in answering. This is bad. If you get a fix please let me know. Thanks in advance

Parisongs

Post by Parisongs » Fri May 01, 2020 5:55 pm

Sorry- I meant to add that I have a PC running Win 8