Where to ask about MIDI remote scripts

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
TVbene

Where to ask about MIDI remote scripts

Post by TVbene » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 am

Hey, where would be the right place to aks questions about controller scripting? I tried in Tips & Tricks without an answer and nearly no views :lol: . Since that's maybe a bit of a niche, are there any other sites/communities for it?

yur2die4

Re: Where to ask about MIDI remote scripts

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:13 pm

You can ask about scripts that already exist. Some are universal, some are device specific. Some modified by people who found a specific task to exploit.

It’s easier to explain your plans than to ask a general question. Also, in most cases it’ll be extremely difficult to request anything beyond what is already out there.

TVbene

Post by TVbene » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks! I'll try to explain my plans more in detail. I mainly asked because for Bitwig there is a dedicated subforum, which does not seem to be the case here.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:56 am

They are officially undocumented and subject to change hence why you'll find limited details. Julien Bayle has traditionally decompiled them if you google...

Cheers
D

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:13 am

It would be good if there was a community for them but that might not get too much traffic.
My only tip would be: investigate the foundation classes. I just ignored them at first and wrote my own crappy methods for everything. It was after about a month that I realised what they actually were.
A lot of the API calls can be referenced directly from the LOM section of the max for live manual for things like undo, delete, current scene, etc. But for the more niche stuff there's not much option than to decompile and scrutinise.

TVbene

Post by TVbene » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:58 pm

S4racen wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:56 am
They are officially undocumented and subject to change hence why you'll find limited details. Julien Bayle has traditionally decompiled them if you google...

Cheers
D
Angstrom wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:13 am
A lot of the API calls can be referenced directly from the LOM section of the max for live manual for things like undo, delete, current scene, etc. But for the more niche stuff there's not much option than to decompile and scrutinise.
Yeah I had found the github by Julien Bayle, but I need some way to set the track_bank so that the script does not start with the first 8 tracks focused but e.g. track 9-16. And I'm way out of my depth with such things. Maybe you can help me with my problem: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=238351