Live 9.7.7 has started crashing my MAC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
serge_a_storms

Live 9.7.7 has started crashing my MAC

Post by serge_a_storms » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:59 pm

I'm running Live 9.7.7 on a

MBP 13" Retina Early 2015
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
3.1 GHz Intel Core i7
16 gb Ram

Saffire 6 USB (Ver 1)

I've been using the same set up for years and it been working great.

The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is that I did a security update on OSX. I also recently installed a VST to control the Korg NTS 1. I've since uninstalled it and any other VSTs that I'm not using. I don't use many at all. The Ones I do use gave been working fine.

I've opened live with no Audio interface or drives attached and it still crashes. When I say crashes, Live opens and I can open files and all seems fine. I then get a glitch of the screen freezing when I move a fader. It then recovers but does it again a few minutes later. Eventually it freezes the screen and I can no longer access menus or task bar. Oddly, my music will continue playing. My Mac is completely unresponsive though. So, I have to do a hard reset.

Any ideas?
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

morelles

Re: Live 9.7.7 has started crashing my MAC

Post by morelles » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:19 pm

I have the same problems.

Since the macOS Security Update 2020-002.

Ableton Live 9 crashes under Mojave. There had never been any problems before this security update.

So I completely erased my hard disk, installed High Sierra, installed Ableton Live 9, installed the security update 2020-002 and my system crashes when using Live 9.

I mailed to Ableton support, but they just told me that Live 9 ist only supported until High Sierra. Actually my Mac (MBP 2015) doesn't work anymore with Ableton Live 9 under High Sierra. Likely since that security update of OSX.

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:11 pm

Not reassuring to hear but at least it's what I thought it was. There's definitely something up with that security update. I've had the same set up for years and never had a problem.

I've logged a ticket and sent a crash log. Hopefully something can be done to sort out the problem. I come back if I get a solution.

I'm really going to have to go DAWless for the time being!

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:09 pm

I came across this https://mrmacintosh.com/2020-002-update ... conf-apps/. Links to a Mac blog.

There is definitely a problem with the security update. It seems to be effecting all sorts of users of different software. Apple are apparently looking at it. So, hopefully, we can get on with making music again in the near future.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

yqnn

Post by yqnn » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Same for me...
It freezes and creates big video issues.
I sometimes to reboot my mac.
Any news about an update?

PDO

Post by PDO » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Same here, hard crashing since two weeks using Ableton 9.7.7... after three years without any troubles... I first suspected my new plug-ins but it seems it can crash with project using only Ableton instruments, so.... Interesting the Mac OS update... let's see!

isophase

Post by isophase » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:46 am

Hello,

This is my first message on the forum.
I also get live 9.7.7 crashing very regularly since one week on my MacBook pro (mid 2009/OS10.8.5 mountain lion/SSD/8G Ram)

It crashes when I duplicate a midi track on some projects. Its driving me crazy. Most recent thing I did is install a small usb keyboard mpk mini and installed the Hybrid synth plug in that came along with it.
But it crashes even on projects that don’t use this plug in.
I have unchecked the VST plug in folder, but it still crashes. I also did a full reset of Live but still crash.
I have not yet reinstalled the software.

I have not done any Mac OS security uptdates.

I sent a crash report at Ableton.

Hope someone can help.
After many years using Ableton live I have never experienced any problems before.

Hope I can fix it soon.

Thank you for your help

isophase

Post by isophase » Fri May 01, 2020 1:46 am

Hello,
I did a full reinstall of Live 9.7.7 and still crashing.
I found out it’s coming from midi drum racks from the last sessions i was working on. Its crashing whenever I duplicate one of the three midi drum tracks. I have no idea why. It’s a small project with only 8 tracks and 8 clips and about 5 Ableton live plug ins.