Ableton project manager app

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flocked

Ableton project manager app

Post by flocked » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:59 am

Hi,

II’m currently developing an Ableton project manager app. I managed to read the .als files, so in theory everything would be possible.

It collects all your projects and let you tag them. It automatically creates backups from your projects and lets you compare the differences between the backups (so you can see what changes you did between two versions. It also visualises the project (session+arrengment view) without the need of opening the projects.

Are there any ideas/wishes what else to include.?

mbakirov

Re: Ableton project manager app

Post by mbakirov » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:32 am

some time ago there was a special cloud sync/backup solution optimized for the music files/folders but i cannot recall what was it :(

goose3000

Post by goose3000 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm

A couple key features

Ability to sort through projects by
  • VSTs used
  • BPM
  • Genre(complicated algorithm to detect this)
  • Scale/key of project
A search engine for drums/samples used would also be very powerful.

Imagine the ability to sort and find two separate projects in the same key that were both small ideas- you could put them together if there was a project manager that could identify the key and BPM.

flocked

Post by flocked » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:24 pm

Some update:

I successfully read full .als files and render the projects session grid inside my app.

This allows already to take an instantous look at the structure of an project without the need to open it inside Live (which can take long; depending on the project size).

The picture shows a proof of concept of my app rendering a session view of an .als project.

@goose3000: Sort by BPM, VST and scale will be added. Genre would be too hard to implement. However user will be able to tag their projects. So one can tag some projects "techno" and others "deep ambient".
The app will include a overview of all samples used in projects (and also shows if samples are missing).