Anyone used a KMI softstep 2 successfully with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oldmanyoung

Anyone used a KMI softstep 2 successfully with Live?

Post by oldmanyoung » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Hey everyone. Another niche question. I got a Softstep 2 controller, and wanted to mess around with it in Live. I have gotten it to talk to the software fine in Hosted mode, which means I have to open their Editor software and manually switch the unit's preset banks to access functions. In the Standalone mode (required for sending the device program changes), the unit does not seem to work properly. I can't get it to even load the preset, and "load" is permanently displayed on the unit. Anyone else been in this boat? Their customer support is all done via email, and it's been very slow communication with them. If I can get it to work, this thing will make a great addition to my setup. Thanks!

chris vine

Re: Anyone used a KMI softstep 2 successfully with Live?

Post by chris vine » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 am

Yes, I use SS2 with Live, works fine. It's a bit clunky sometimes, software wise.

If you have the LOAD message permanently showing, you need to reinstall the firmware.
I have had that problem a few times - seemingly randomly. And the FW reinstall always fixed that.

Standalone mode works OK for me.

Their forum often has answers and (haven't checked it for a year or so now) the KMI forum support guy usually answers questions pretty quickly, maybe faster than email. I was wondering just recently if KMI even support any of their products any more.

feel free to PM me with any questions.

oldmanyoung

Post by oldmanyoung » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 am

chris vine wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:05 am
Yes, I use SS2 with Live, works fine. It's a bit clunky sometimes, software wise.

If you have the LOAD message permanently showing, you need to reinstall the firmware.
I have had that problem a few times - seemingly randomly. And the FW reinstall always fixed that.

Standalone mode works OK for me.

Their forum often has answers and (haven't checked it for a year or so now) the KMI forum support guy usually answers questions pretty quickly, maybe faster than email. I was wondering just recently if KMI even support any of their products any more.

feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks! I actually forgot to mention that I already reinstalled firmware with no result.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 am

So what happens when you switch to Standalone mode within the editor?

http://forum.keithmcmillen.com/viewforum.php?f=10