Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by buckman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 am

I have latest Live 10.1.9 and really busy with work and projects at this current time.

16GB iMac with SSD i5 so power has never been a problem.

Trying to load previous days projects and I just get the spinning wheel and 'application not responding' on certain projects?????

REALLY FRUSTRATING??!!!

Any idea why? All plug ins seem fine, other projects with the same plug ins load fine?
Even my backups from certain projects won't load either???

PLEASE HELP as I don't remember this happening with 9.7.7??

Very happy with Live 10, but this is a deal breaker.. No idea why its only certain projects and not others??? as nothing different?

Not really sure the procedure on getting the non-loading project in the side bar to 'drag in' tracks?

Any help would be great - is there a newer final release download that will cure this?
2 projects now over a week, save fine, but next day won't load and there is nothing i can see that is different about them??

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by [jur] » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:49 am

This could be because of a plugin.
Use Live's Browser to go to your Project's folder, and then to your .als. From there you'll be able to access individual tracks and drag them into a new set. Do it one by one and you should fine which track is the culprit and probably which plugin.
Ableton Forum Moderator

buckman

Post by buckman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 am

Thank you for this and I will try to have a go at doing this option..

You maybe right, and this maybe my older REFX Nexus 1 plug in, which on the project opens, plays and records fine..

However once saved (fine also) I am now thinking this is the plug in that doesn't allow the project to open at a later date?

I have launched Ableton in SAFE mode with (alt on Mac) so it loads without any AU plug ins..?

This is fine, and I have my identical list of VST plug ins showing only?
BUT the one missing in VST is REFX Nexus 1?

Would this be the problem that the VST component is missing and corrupting projects even if I use the AU version of this plug-in?

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:13 pm

What's your OS?
Ableton Forum Moderator

buckman

Post by buckman » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:27 pm

High Sierra 10.13.6

Running great - apart from this issue...

saalicisis

Post by saalicisis » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:19 pm

buckman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:20 am
I have latest Live 10.1.9 and really busy with work and projects at this current time.

16GB iMac with SSD i5 so power has never been a problem.

Trying to load previous days projects and I just get the spinning wheel and 'application not responding' on certain projects?????

REALLY FRUSTRATING??!!!

Any idea why? All plug ins seem fine, other projects with the same plug ins load fine?
Even my backups from certain projects won't load either???

PLEASE HELP as I don't remember this happening with 9.7.7??

Very happy with Live 10, but this is a deal breaker.. No idea why its only certain projects and not others??? as nothing different?

Not really sure the procedure on getting the non-loading project in the side bar to 'drag in' tracks?

Any help would be great - is there a newer final release download that will cure this?
2 projects now over a week, save fine, but next day won't load and there is nothing i can see that is different about them??
ever find a solution? I believe I am experiencing the same thing right now. Certain sets within the project are functioning right but other projects and their backups just cause my computer to hang and I have to close Ableton. They were all working yesterday with no other system changes. Extremely frustrating.

WildWillyBill

Post by WildWillyBill » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Same issue for me. Windows 10. Running the latest everything. Some projects just stopped opening. Ableton hangs indefinitely and you have to force quit it.

Groovial

Post by Groovial » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:50 pm

[jur] wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:49 am
This could be because of a plugin.
Use Live's Browser to go to your Project's folder, and then to your .als. From there you'll be able to access individual tracks and drag them into a new set. Do it one by one and you should fine which track is the culprit and probably which plugin.
It worked for me this solution, however I didn't found the culprit, but anyway, I saved it in different names and removed one Track with a plugin that I suspected (Sirin VST from Moog Sirin which was not connected).

Thanks!

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:32 pm

I do have those same problems ocassionally. The project works perfectly fine. I save it and reopen 2 months later and it crashes. No Error message no nothing. Live just pops up the generic message (I think derived from Windows) saying that it crashed. Then the project never opens again.
My workaround is to save several copies of the same project and sometimes I can open it from saved COPY but not always.

I think Ableton should develop some way of keeping track not only the files (clips) involved but also instruments, plugins, etc. Another words to keep track of every single file (even if it is outside of Ableton) involved in the project. Generaly ALC and ALP should do it but most of the time we are to busy to create ALP file at the end of some project development period.

I keep several versions of the same project so sometimes what saves my life is to go back to previous iteration, but obviously in such case I loose some recent work. I do external backups but this doesn't really help in this case. Now I started doing also full backups of Ableton and all external libs so we will see if this might help.

Generally it happens way to often when older projects do not open. I experience this way to often,...

:!:
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:28 pm

aklisiewicz wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:32 pm
I think Ableton should develop some way of keeping track not only the files (clips) involved but also instruments, plugins, etc. Another words to keep track of every single file (even if it is outside of Ableton) involved in the project. Generaly ALC and ALP should do it but most of the time we are to busy to create ALP file at the end of some project development period.
That is already possible, even with a project that does not open you can select it in the Live browser then browse inside by opening the arrow and even browse for individual tracks within groups and basically access almost all the tracks you have without needing to open the project at all.

aklisiewicz wrote:
Generally it happens way to often when older projects do not open. I experience this way to often,...
Then you have some issues on your end or some outdated/dodgy plugins probably. I think I have had an issue with a non-loading project 1 time in 12 years and that was an outdated Eventide reverb plugin which after Ableton told me the cause of the issue (when I sent them a crashlog asking for support) I found there was an update available from eventide which fixed the issue. Trick is to try and focus on making the best project you can using the least amount of plugins you can manage.

djorno

Post by djorno » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:57 am

aklisiewicz wrote:
I do have those same problems ocassionally. The project works perfectly fine. I save it and reopen 2 months later and it crashes. No Error message no nothing. Live just pops up the generic message (I think derived from Windows) saying that it crashed. Then the project never opens again.
My workaround is to save several copies of the same project and sometimes I can open it from saved COPY but not always.
Have been having issues like this for years. It's incredibly frustrating to make it far in a single session, have everything in your set function properly and so on, and then you quit, and that's the last you'll ever see of that session... Sometimes backups work, sometimes they wind up corrupted along the way and *poof* there goes your work...

The import track by track method loses all your send / return routing, scene names, etc... It's really not as great a workaround as it is made to be, and when you've gone through all the other troubleshooting steps and haven't made any noticeable changes to your computer and things *still* hang / crash / don't work? It's maddening.

Snedmusic

Post by Snedmusic » Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 am

Honestly it's so crazy this is still happening :cry: :cry: :cry:
The 'drag tracks via the browser' solution is NOT a solution.
So much of a complex set is absolutely lost via this method.

I personally use a set with about 200+ individual MIDI mappings that control a live fingerdrumming improv set. Lots of mappings controlling/arming instruments, dozens of mappings to banks of nested chain selectors and effects setups, complex audio routings etc etc. The process to rebuild this takes literal weeks, and as of this week, I find myself in this scenario yet again.

Ableton, there must be some method to extract the data in the set in order to rebuild from a crash like this. The fact this happens so regularly to so many people, for years now, and there seems to be no efforts towards a solution or seemingly even an acknowledgement that this is a majorly fatal flaw is kinda mind boggling.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue May 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi There,

Have to chip in on this one.

Still getting this on Live 11. A project that was opening fine, suddenly won't open and crashes Live completely. No changes at all. The last one I was working on only an hour before this happened. This is incredibly frustrating, but having used Live from Version 2, I have to say this is not unusual! It was what made me move over to working in Logic (has never crashed in the all the time I have used it - prob about 8 years). That and the better recording for guitar takes.

I was excited to come back to using live 11 with the new 'take' option for recordings, and I love using Push, but that was quickly quenched by the crashes and the high CPU hits (again I don't get this on any other DAW).

I was going to post a full on rant, but then thought f*ck it (it shouldn't be but), it's just the way it is!!

I've sent numerous crash logs to Ableton, so hopefully it will improve on later updates.
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Nate Holt

Post by Nate Holt » Wed May 05, 2021 12:21 am

wildcon wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:01 pm
Hi There,

Have to chip in on this one.

Still getting this on Live 11. A project that was opening fine, suddenly won't open and crashes Live completely. No changes at all. The last one I was working on only an hour before this happened. This is incredibly frustrating, but having used Live from Version 2, I have to say this is not unusual! It was what made me move over to working in Logic (has never crashed in the all the time I have used it - prob about 8 years). That and the better recording for guitar takes.

I was excited to come back to using live 11 with the new 'take' option for recordings, and I love using Push, but that was quickly quenched by the crashes and the high CPU hits (again I don't get this on any other DAW).

I was going to post a full on rant, but then thought f*ck it (it shouldn't be but), it's just the way it is!!

I've sent numerous crash logs to Ableton, so hopefully it will improve on later updates.
adding: "The fact this happens so regularly to so many people, for years now, and there seems to be no efforts towards a solution or seemingly even an acknowledgement that this is a majorly fatal flaw is kinda mind boggling."

Glad to see a couple other comments where someone else feels this way. I did post a full on rant lol, not my best moment but I've been a vocal advocate since I started using it (not that I'm anybody, just saying), and even with the occasional crashes and weird stuff it's been so fun to use until the 11 update. I have Logic but haven't felt the need to invest the time it would take to learn the workflow but this might give me the motivation. I really hope there's a fix for some of these problems people have experienced / are experiencing.

millett

Post by millett » Mon May 24, 2021 4:35 pm

I've been having this exact same problem. Made a project yesterday and used one relatively cpu taxing max for live plugin and now I can't open the project or even the backups without getting a 'not responding' message and having to force quit. I am currently running live 11 on a macbook pro 2017 model and mac OS 10.13.6 high sierra but I feel like it shouldn't be this much of a problem. I moved from Logic to Ableton at the start of this year as I preferred Ableton's work flow and features but this whole crashing problem is really not making me feel like I made the right decision. I can't believe that my computer is old enough to be considered unable to handle the cpu load as I've had way more cpu taxing projects open for ages literally in the last week so I have no idea why this one I made yesterday was such a problem. Its almost like this is a random bug rather than a genuine issue with processing power. Very annoying and upsetting having paid full whack for 11 suite as well and then encountering problems like this.