Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PauloW

Re: Live won't open previous projects from before INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING?

Post by PauloW » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 am

Same here. It is incredibly infuriating, to say the least. It's always when you have everything JUST RIGHT, everything mixed and mastered perfectly, and when you think you've finally created a masterpiece, Ableton takes HUGE dump on it. And the only viable option to recover the project (dragging the project file INTO ableton) gets rid of the master channel and channel delays. Again, incredibly infuriating and absolutely insane that the devs have not yet fixed this as it's a VERY common problem, and I have an immaculate gaming computer. Come on, Ableton... if you don't step your game up, I'm seriously considering not supporting future Ableton products the next time this happens.

DJsil3NtKilL

Post by DJsil3NtKilL » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:36 am

Man oh man after reading this thread is there really still no solution? I’m honestly annoyed also! I worked hard on a project where I’m unable to open it up as well every time on start up. I restart the computer yet it’s still an issue.

Started to think it’s probably the plug-ins, I’m using but my colleagues saying it can’t be. I never had this problem just recently. I’m using windows 10/Ableton Suite 11, and every time I open the project it never opens up. However I’m able to go the arrangement screen but it just stays there with the cursor loading, and when I press on the program the whole window goes transparent white where you still see the program but nothing happens! After this a good 15 minutes or so passes by, then a good 30 mins, and so on come on that’s absurd for a program to take long to open up especially when you have a good gaming pc. Anyways, I don’t even try to wait any longer I just close the program, and retry. I mean the screen can probably stay like that all day with no nudge if I didn’t close it.

Why is this happening? Is beyond me but it’s getting really annoying, I don’t want to make projects, and not go back to being able to tweak them, and then the fact is I’m working on a project for nothing where I’m unable to open up later on. It’s a waste of time, and energy, and I hope this can get fixed soon as I’d love to get back to work with confidence my stuff won’t be worked on for nothing ASAP!

Please Ableton come up with a solution, it would be nice that I don’t always have to hit a roadblock somewhere.

Thank you! :(
S 1 L Ξ N T K ! L L
Instagram: djsilentkill | Twitter: djsil3ntkill

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:06 am

submit a support ticket

Bbenskin

Post by Bbenskin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:20 am

Have been facing this issue since the update from live 10 to 11. The problem is with the plugins and in my case those are waves plugins.

My solution to open the project is to switch off plugins scan and then scan the plugins after the project is open. Usually this works but first you have to find out which plugins are causing the crash before scanning again and deleting those from the project.

In my case usually it has been my plugins in waveshell 12 which are ssl and PuigTec but not always, sometimes it's maxxbass and this makes this very frustfrating😁. One tip for finding out which plugins are causing the crash is to use custom plugins folder and move those plugins out of that folder which you think are causing problems.

2. In the past two weeks my ableton has also been crashing when I save the project for the first time. 3-5 seconds after saving ableton crash but open up perfectly fine after that. Even if I have just added one audio track. I think that this happens only if I use my custom folder for projects which is located in my mac's desktop. Haven't been facing this issue when saving to ableton's default project info folder.

zachswr

Post by zachswr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:35 am

In Live's preferences in an empty set, make sure your sample rate is the exact same as the set that won't open before you try and open it (if you don't know for sure, try a few common sample rates).

This just solved the problem for my specific situation although I've been having this issue for years, who knows if it would have worked on other projects. This also solves problems for me when Live freezes at the beginning of a render, again making sure that I am exporting at the same sample rate as my set. Hope it helps somebody!

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:13 pm

zachswr wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:35 am
In Live's preferences in an empty set, make sure your sample rate is the exact same as the set that won't open before you try and open it (if you don't know for sure, try a few common sample rates).
That's surprising. Live doesn't really care about samples rates, you can mix different ones and won't ever notice that Live is dealing with this under-the-hood. So, I'm wondering if this could be because of a 3rd party plugin.
It'd be nice if you could report this to support@ableton.com, including a "status pack" (when the problem occurs, go to Live's Help menu, click "get support"; this will generate a status pack).
Ableton Forum Moderator

m0lt

Post by m0lt » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:05 pm

Posting this here in case it can help someone else.

My scenario is that I used to run Live from an old Windows installation on hard drive A. I store my Live sets in a separate hard drive, we'll call that B. I got a new hard drive and installed Windows and Live on that, we'll call this one C. I ran into the problem of Live crashing when I would attempt to open Live sets that exist on drive B, from the Live installation on drive C.

After much trial and error (removing all plugins from the sets while they were open from the Live install on drive B, reordering MIDI input devices in config, matching sample rates and buffer sizes, etc), I finally tried just running Live as Administrator and wallah, that worked!

That clearly points to a problem with drive permissions so I need to learn a bit more about how those work in Windows because running Live as admin seems like more of a bandaid than a solution.

Update: This is how to fix permissions issues like this on Windows: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

I hope that at least helps someone else.