ALWAYS playback from last cursor location

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pechnatunk

ALWAYS playback from last cursor location

Post by pechnatunk » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm

I can't believe it is taking me this long to ask this - I think the main reason I have never gotten used to Arrangement editing over the years is because I HATE the fact after making an edit to a clip -n the playback thenm starts from that clip's startpoint.

Where is the setting to simply always playback from where you last pressed play/where the cursor was?

It must be there - or I can't be the only one that needs this.

Cheers.

pechnatunk

Re: ALWAYS playback from last cursor location

Post by pechnatunk » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:27 am

If this is not possible - a workaround would be a shortcut to play from the previous Locator - does this exist?

Also - a short cut to add a locator at the cursor would also be handy - there doesn't seem to be one for this.

Julia123

Post by Julia123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm

I feel your pain! The arrange/clip edit playback is very awkward. I ended up downloading keyboard maestro to help with navigation in the arrange window but it doesn't solve your question.

You can set up key commands within Ableton to navigate from one locator to the next in case you missed that. You can also program a key command in Ableton to set a new locator at the current position. Is that what you were thinking as a back-up?

It would also be great to type a key command that sets the new start point at the current location in the arrange window or current clip as you change to new edit or record points but I have given up on that.

I hope someone shows up with a better answer for you!
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm

pechnatunk wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm
Where is the setting to simply always playback from where you last pressed play/where the cursor was?
From the manual:

34.5 Transport

Play from Start Marker/Stop: Space

Continue Play from Stop Point: Shift-Space

Space will stop and play from where you last placed the cursor in arrangement or the start of a selected clip

Shift+Space starts playback from the point where you pressed stop.

pechnatunk

Post by pechnatunk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Julia123 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm
I feel your pain! The arrange/clip edit playback is very awkward. I ended up downloading keyboard maestro to help with navigation in the arrange window but it doesn't solve your question.

You can set up key commands within Ableton to navigate from one locator to the next in case you missed that. You can also program a key command in Ableton to set a new locator at the current position. Is that what you were thinking as a back-up?
Hi, Yes! that's exactly what I was thinking as a backup - So, do you mean Keyboard Maestro can set up shortcuts for functions where shortcuts do not exist?? Or are you saying that Ableton does already have shortcuts for - create locator and navigate next/previous locator? And I have just missed them.

pechnatunk

Post by pechnatunk » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:21 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:10 pm
pechnatunk wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 pm
From the manual:

34.5 Transport

Play from Start Marker/Stop: Space

Continue Play from Stop Point: Shift-Space

Space will stop and play from where you last placed the cursor in arrangement or the start of a selected clip

Shift+Space starts playback from the point where you pressed stop.
I know about those - but it is not what I'm looking for - another way of fixing it I guess, is to have a setting where Live does not move the cursor to where you are editing - which is actually a bit more logical than to start play back from where the cursor is not at :)

Julia123

Post by Julia123 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Yes, Keyboard Maestro is pretty amazing. A bit of a learning curve. If you choose to have it memorize mouse movements, you need to always use Ableton in full screen.

You can program within Ableton the locator commands though using the key map mode switch in the top right hand corner. I created a template with mappings I use in every project. When you program create locator, it will juggle between create and then delete depending on if it is still selected.
Live 10.1.5, 2017 iMac 4.2 GHz i7, 40 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

2nikitazanosiev@gmail.com

Post by 2nikitazanosiev@gmail.com » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Try CTRL + SPACE

Echinder

Post by Echinder » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:17 pm

2nikitazanosiev@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:07 pm
Try CTRL + SPACE
Thank you!!!! :D

aterix

Post by aterix » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:56 pm

CTRL + Space didn't do anything on my mac.
Is there a setting to enable playback from the cursor, or a custom shortcut I need to create?

avyary

Post by avyary » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:22 pm

aterix wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:56 pm
CTRL + Space didn't do anything on my mac.
Is there a setting to enable playback from the cursor, or a custom shortcut I need to create?
i figured it out! it's option/alt and then space to play from cursor. i hope this helps!