Record set straight from Xone 96 to Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Loorden

Record set straight from Xone 96 to Ableton

Post by Loorden » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:29 am

Hi,

So I've been trying to setup my Xone 96 so I can record a set directly from my mixer, into Ableton.

But here's the crux; When I hook up the mixer to my computer, I get the signal and can record whatever is coming in to the mixer. But the mixer puts out the raw signal to Ableton. It does not matter if I lower the faders or turn any EQ's, the audio that Ableton receive is the the full track.

Setup:
2 x XDJ700 > Xone:96 > Macbook Pro

Is there something I've missed to do to be able to record correct?

s.r.mayor

Re: Record set straight from Xone 96 to Ableton

Post by s.r.mayor » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am

Hello my friend, I hope you are well. I just read your question and I want to help you. I do not have this Allen & Heat mixer within my reach but I was reading a bit of the manual. I have an idea for you to try. (I do not know what you are wanting to record exactly, nor do I fully understand in your message what use you are going to give it)
But from what I can read if you want to record your SETS you have to route channels 11 and 12 of the mixer. I guess all the other channels are "pass-thru"

(That would make sense in my way of using it) You also did not specify your operating system. If you use Win there is a driver to download here:

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone96/

Here you can change the sampling rate and other things like the buffer size.

and here is the driver manual:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/X96_SRN_4670_1.pdf

I hope you can find the solution and the best way to work.

Greetings out there!
Peace :)

Loorden

Post by Loorden » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm

s.r.mayor wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am
Hello my friend, I hope you are well. I just read your question and I want to help you. I do not have this Allen & Heat mixer within my reach but I was reading a bit of the manual. I have an idea for you to try. (I do not know what you are wanting to record exactly, nor do I fully understand in your message what use you are going to give it)
But from what I can read if you want to record your SETS you have to route channels 11 and 12 of the mixer. I guess all the other channels are "pass-thru"

(That would make sense in my way of using it) You also did not specify your operating system. If you use Win there is a driver to download here:

https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone96/

Here you can change the sampling rate and other things like the buffer size.

and here is the driver manual:

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/X96_SRN_4670_1.pdf

I hope you can find the solution and the best way to work.

Greetings out there!
Peace :)
Thanks for your reply and thanks for looking into it!

What I meant is that I'm trying to record a DJ set/mix directly from the mixer, instead of having to go from the mixer > audio interface > computer.

I've checked the channels and I get audio in on channel 11/12.
This issue is not that I don't get sound to my computer, it's that I the audio passes through the mixer without taking any effect of any faders or EQ's is turn on the mixer.
If I for example lower the fader to the bottom on the Xone, Ableton still picks up the full signal and records the track that's being played, even though no sounds goes out of the mixer to my monitors.

Hope that explains the issue a bit better.

Cheers

treasurecoast

Post by treasurecoast » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:49 pm

I pulled this from another thread, I hope it helps you or someone in the future.

Just realized that this doesnt record your fx if using the master insert function. I got an RMX1000 and plugged it all in. Works great for effects but for some reason A+H have decided to record pre master insert when recording over the USB cable(channels 11/12). Gutted.

Only way around this is to use a separate recorder plugged into audio jacks on back of mixer. Kind of defeats the point. Must say Im gutted that they chose this way of recording master bus. Surely a dj wants their fx recorded as well.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Loorden wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks for your reply and thanks for looking into it!

What I meant is that I'm trying to record a DJ set/mix directly from the mixer, instead of having to go from the mixer > audio interface > computer.

I've checked the channels and I get audio in on channel 11/12.
This issue is not that I don't get sound to my computer, it's that I the audio passes through the mixer without taking any effect of any faders or EQ's is turn on the mixer.
If I for example lower the fader to the bottom on the Xone, Ableton still picks up the full signal and records the track that's being played, even though no sounds goes out of the mixer to my monitors.

Hope that explains the issue a bit better.

Cheers
There is nothing you can do more on the Ableton Live side. It is all down to how the xone96 works.

Most DJ mixers have a physical "Record Out" that by passes the master section, but it doesn't bypass the channel section - i.e. this signal is always taken after the channel faders and EQs.

So for your solution you will have to look at settings and outputs on the xone96 and how they work.

For example:
Are you sure you have the channels 11/12 set to Mater Out and not Send 2 Out? There is a button on the mixer's master section for that.
(Page 16 and 23 of manual)

From your description, it sounds like it may be set to Send Out currently.

hello panique

Post by hello panique » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 am

Hi there. I'm having the same issue - and am wondering if anyone has come up with a solution:

I'm looking for infos on RECORDING with the XONE:96, using the internal soundcard to route the 6 stereo channels to a DAW and record them individually (NOT the master signal). I've been able to connect the mixer to the computer, made sure that the firmware is up to date and assignes channels 1-2 through 11-12 to six stereo channels in Ableton, BUT the signal that arrives in the DAW is always pre-fader, pre-EQ. How is it possible to change this to post-fader, post-EQ?

I can't wrap my head around the logic of this - what sense would it make to route the internal soundcard outputs directly from the channel inputs to the outputs, without processing thorugh the mixers main features?

almostable

Post by almostable » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:44 pm

I am experiencing the same problem, though when trying to record with Rekordbox. Apparently, this is a "problem" (not sure if you can technically call it that), with the Xone 96, not Ableton or Rekordbox. I can only conclude that in order to record, we need to use the RCA record outputs instead of USB, and connect them to another interface which can then run into the computer via USB. Bummer.

kraymon

Post by kraymon » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am

Hi - bit late to the party but I've been doing the same recently with my PX5.

You want Ableton to be recording 9/10 (not 11-12) and you also need to make sure the little white switch on the back pannel is set to the correct position otherwise it will just record the FX.

Hope that helps.

I recorded a great mix but there are moments of digital distortion which is so annoying! I think (hope) that its just because i made the buffer size too small.

fimpson

Post by fimpson » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:56 am

OP has probably resolved this by now but I have a related issue (below)
Da hand wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:39 pm
Are you sure you have the channels 11/12 set to Mater Out and not Send 2 Out? There is a button on the mixer's master section for that.
(Page 16 and 23 of manual)

From your description, it sounds like it may be set to Send Out currently.
Yeah when you set this button to Master Out, you get everything post-fader. I use an FX pedal on send 1 and everything is captured using this method. Works perfectly 98% of the time....
kraymon wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am
You want Ableton to be recording 9/10 (not 11-12)
On the 96 it is indeed 11-12. The PX5 must be different.
kraymon wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am
I recorded a great mix but there are moments of digital distortion which is so annoying! I think (hope) that its just because i made the buffer size too small.
I just arrived at this thread with this same issue!!!! But on the 96... Last mix I recorded, the audio just dropped out after about 1hr45 of recording even though Live remained in 'recording' mode. Also, when I listened back I found I had heaps of digital distortion for a moment early in the mix. It happened for about 30sec, then resolved itself.
It's happened several times now. Initially I thought it was my USB-C adapter, but now I'm using a high-quality USB-B to USB-C cable that skips the adapter and goes directly into the macbook, and the issue persists...

Maybe I'll just start a new thread about this somewhere else as its probably more of an A&H issue than an Ableton one. Can anyone shed some fresh insights??