Places folders not updating

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rowenna

Places folders not updating

Post by Rowenna » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Hello, hoping someone can help me here.

I have a few folders under Places and am updating them constantly with drum samples e.t.c but the problem I'm having is that Ableton doesn't update along with them. No matter how long I wait, Ableton doesn't show the new files/samples that I've placed in the folder.

At the moment as a work around, I'm deleting the folder each and every time and then re-adding the folder. But of course the more files I add in the end it's going to take forever to scan through them each time with this method.

How do I get Ableton to automatically update what's in my folders without me deleting and re-adding each time? I've looked under preferences but no luck. Is there a way to refresh the folder(s)?

I'd really appreciate any help. I've done so much searching but so far can't figure it out. I'm using a mac if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

autozone

Re: Places folders not updating

Post by autozone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I've had the exact same problem for years. Anyone find a solve?

scooby_man

Post by scooby_man » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:39 pm

The only thing that has worked for me is to click add folder and reselect the same folder. I do not delete the folder beforehand. The folder ends up reloading. I agree there should be a reload/refresh button somewhere if it is not going to happen automatically.

poweruser

Post by poweruser » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:15 pm

I have the same issue as well. it takes hours for it to update 1 song, or drum sample.

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:34 pm

When I add a lot of stuff but I want to use something in a specific folder and I don't want to wait, I just create an empty txt file in that folder, that (or any change, like renaming a file) triggers Live's detection, then I delete the dummy txt file.
♥♥♥

supadisco

Post by supadisco » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 am

same issue here, you'd think this would be an easy fix. oh well. at least the folders eventually index...i have to use Ableton's search to find tracks on my external HD because catalina's search is broken, at least on my machine. ack!

davidterranova

Post by davidterranova » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:24 pm

Yep same.
Is there a cache file that can be deleted?

welly71

Post by welly71 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:15 pm

Same here!!! On the latest version of Live 11, this is so bloody frustrating! Install a new sample pack on my hard disk (external) and wait days sometimes for live to include it in the list within the places section! Even manually adding the folder will not reveal its contents for days!! I paid $800 for this software and basic file browsing doesn’t work? Really?? WTF!!

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:51 pm

No issues here. My Live 11 always updates these folders.

keotaaaaa

Post by keotaaaaa » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:14 am

Chiming in to say I, too, have been experiencing this problem. Wasn't sure if Dropbox had anything to do with it but the problem persists even without Dropbox running.

Running Ableton 11.2 (as admin)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.1219
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1219.0

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:30 pm

You might need to get in touch with Support...
Ableton Forum Moderator

adgm

Post by adgm » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:45 pm

I know this is a very old post, however I was facing the same problem and after some research I found the solution. The reason for your problem is likely this:

When Ableton scans for new item's in the places menu, it goes through a process of re-indexing the entire set of folders. If you have a non-discrete folder added, such as entire external hard drive--which was what I was doing--the process of reindexing takes a very long time, and it can seem as though it is not updating at all. So, to all future people with this problem, I would suggest checking to see if you have any large folders in the places tab, and if so, removing them and re-adding only relevant small folders.

-.a

(note: I found this information in one of Ableton's articles: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... -in-Places

It fixed my problem immediately.)