[SOLVED] "Live Unexpectedly quit..." message for no reason

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
litL1

Re: "Live Unexpectedly quit..." message for no reason

Post by litL1 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi,

Same exact problem, i.e. Ableton 10 crashing on launch with Apple's "program unexpectedly quit" message..

I actually went ahead upgrading from Standard to Suite, thinking a new install might get rid off any corrupt files.. no joy!
Tried cloning back files from a recent backup.. (noticing that from the backup Ableton launched fine, and after deleting the Suite).. it worked all day yesterday.. then after MacOS was brought out of sleep-mode this morning, started Ableton - same issue again!

Next thing to try (prior to writing support), might be to re-install an older Live version.. :|

1❤️d
***ONE LOVE***
dImage

MacbookPro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2015) - 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 / Live 10.1.9 / Bome MIDI Translator Pro 1.8.4 / ...

RedSkyRoad

Re: "Live Unexpectedly quit..." message for no reason

Post by RedSkyRoad » Tue May 12, 2020 2:20 am

SOLVED IT!!!

So this folder ("BaseFiles") should not exist when you start-up Ableton. When Albeton starts, it creates this folder and a "Template.als" file for the blank project. When you leave Ableton, it deletes this file and the folder. If there are other files in there, it can't delete the folder and thus, the error...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 10.1.9\Preferences\BaseFiles

If you have files in there, it's safe to delete them
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

litL1

Re: [SOLVED] "Live Unexpectedly quit..." message for no reason

Post by litL1 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanks for the heads up, @RedSkyRoad!
This did work for me, at least in respect of Ableton now retaining my template set and stopping the automatic switching back to allow for "automatic updates", in the settings..

Now, i'm not sure if this relates to the same problem (it did start at the same time of all other experienced problems, ie.
- Crashing on launch
- Regenerating either a new default template or replacing my latest saved one with a previous one (once i had copied "ableton_live_standard_10.0.2_64" and other old Ableton files back from a recent system back-up and successfully managed to make A. Live start again)), but also keep being asked to authorise my version and this hasn't been taken care of by deleting the BaseFiles folder.

In case anyone has any ideas ...?
***ONE LOVE***
dImage

MacbookPro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2015) - 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 / Live 10.1.9 / Bome MIDI Translator Pro 1.8.4 / ...