Ghost track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mudman

Ghost track

Post by mudman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 pm

An audio clip is playing in the place where I moved it from.
It's as if the software is not committing the action in this track.
I've recorded with Ableton for years and never have seen this, though I remember reading about someone with Ableton 6 who experienced this.
I can delete the clip, move it to another track, another location in the same track...still plays as if I've never moved/deleted the track.
I can mute the track an kill the audio.

All of this is in Arrangement. Nothing on this audio track recorded in Session.

Any help on this. I'm on 10.1.9.

drumjoss

Re: Ghost track

Post by drumjoss » Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am

Hello,

I am hitting the same issue on one of my project, even if I leave the track there in arrangement view, and I double-click on it / select another record file, still the same and old one playing.

Have a nice day,

Jocelyn

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue May 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Are you experiencing this often??
Is it also happening with the recent L10.1.13?
Ableton Forum Moderator

nicnut

Post by nicnut » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:42 am

I'm on Live 10.1.7 I am having this same issue. I recorded a bunch of takes and composited together a nice take, but there is another melody that somehow won't go away. I might have to delete everything i recorded the last few hours and start over. This other part is somehow on every track. I couldn't have recorded it with all the incoming audio because my input was "external" When I export, even one track this other melody is in there.

ANyone have a solution? Thanks

jonanas

Post by jonanas » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:56 pm

hi,
i'm having the same issue too.
recorded an audio clip in arrangement view. later drag and dropped it to session view to mess around with some loops.
back in arrangement view, the clip keeps playing even though it has been deleted. i thought maybe it somehow ended up in another track, so one by one i muted all the tracks. when every track was muted, the clip still played :D

interestingly though, this problem only happens in arrangement view. in session view, the laws of nature still apply and the clip does not play when the track i recorded it into is muted.

it's really confusing.
if anyone has found a solution to this, please let us know!

Boller

Post by Boller » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:51 pm

I just had this problem. I did have Melodyne on the track however.

emsieler

Post by emsieler » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 pm

same... it's driving me crazy
using Ableton Live 11 in 2021 with Melodyne on the track
any ideas??

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:19 am

I had this problem last night. In my case, it was because I had used Melodyne (as a plugin) on the vocal. Later when I moved the clip (in Arrange view) the vocal kept firing at the same point on the time line. After some serious chin stroking, I disabled Melodyne on the vocal track that was haunting the timeline and the ghost stopped immediately.

Apparently when Melodyne records (Transfers) the source audio, it somehow latches on to the location on the time line and ignores any further time line movements or rearranging of the timing of the clips in Live. I'm guessing here, but it's probably more of an Arrangement view issue

Not sure if everyone who had the issue above was using Melodyne, but there could be other software/plugins that work the same way. If you've come here looking for a solution, try disabling effects - specifically anything 3rd party that processes an audio sample by capturing/recording it out of Live and into itself as part of its treatment.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:48 am

Yup, Melodyne prints its own audio file when you do a Transfer audio into it. This audio file doesn't obey any timeline edits you make in the DAW, though you can drag the waveforms to the left and right inside the Melodyne window to line them up again with your Arrangement edits - it can get a bit fiddly though. Its best to do the pitch corrections, duplicate, freeze and flatten the track so that what you're seeing in the Arrange or Clip View is actually what you're dealing with.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud