broken pitch bend wheel fix

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
swett

broken pitch bend wheel fix

Post by swett » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello,
I have an old Axiom 49 midi keyboard that has a broken pitchblende wheel. Its a pile of garbage unless im able to disable it. haven't had much much by doing it in the controller so I thought that maybe there's a midi tool that can help me force the notes in tune.

Any ideas?

TLW

Re: broken pitch bend wheel fix

Post by TLW » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Pitch bend doesn’t alter the MIDI note number sent by the controller. It tells a synth to “play the MIDI note requested but also shift it up or down by this amount”. That is how synths can produce pitches “between” the usual semitone divisions between MIDI notes.

So the amount of effect pitch bend has is usually set in the synth, either a patch at a time or globally depending on the synth. Setting a synth’s pitch bend response to zero or “off” should prevent it having any effect. Unfortunately the MIDI will still be there and you may well end up with recorded clips full of pitch bend envelopes which might come back to bite you later if you forget they are there or don’t manually delete them. Live will also process those envelopes even if the synth is ignoring them, so there will be cpu etc. used up doing that.

The best answer is probably to replace the controller.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.