Let's Put Sync Issues to Bed - None Of My MIDI Gear Syncs To Ableton Properly!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Guff Tong

Re: Let's Put Sync Issues to Bed - None Of My MIDI Gear Syncs To Ableton Properly!

Post by Guff Tong » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 am

My mate has same issue though his recorded audio is at least latent to a constant so its synced to itself.

His set up is made up of 3 x roland Mx1's recording something like 30 plus hardware, synths , drums machines etc using ableton as clock.
We know a fair few musical types and even the wisest sages have same issue. The latency isn't even a constant and if you set the hardware as clock abletons bpm jumps about wildly.

At present were just deleting the silence at start and trying to eye up the wav verus bpm till it can be remixed/edited in time.

(I on the other hand use ableton as my brain/midi sequencer so don't have the same issue, I'm locked solid)

loopdokter

Re: Let's Put Sync Issues to Bed - None Of My MIDI Gear Syncs To Ableton Properly!

Post by loopdokter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 pm

Guff Tong wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 am
At present were just deleting the silence at start and trying to eye up the wav verus bpm till it can be remixed/edited in time.
I basically gave up trying to figure this out and do exactly that. Some MIDI is early, which is totally laughable considering how laggy MIDI inherently is, and some is late.

I'm convinced that it's an Ableton issue because I just don't have these issues using Cubase. I think this an area of Live's code that has been grossly neglected and their team doesn't want to go near it and find a better way of doing compensation.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Not sure its Ableton: when he tracked the last 33 track tune and we deleted silence etc it was out at bar 33 by a 32nd and at bar 81 it was nearly a quarter measure out.
Conversely, my set up using Abletons midi is solid. To test it.. I even recorded it to a standalone digital recorder, re recorded it into Live and it was still locked to same bpm un warped .
(I could be that my mate favours his old EMX1 to be the main midi in his set up even though he has a plethora of modern hardware! )
I'm staying in the box , it just works!

istvan_bracz

Post by istvan_bracz » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:08 pm

Hello, I noticed that this is now a year old with ZERO responses?!

So either the problems were solved
(doubtful, as I'm having hardware/software synch issues with LIVE as well),
or everyone just gave up? Is that what happened?

Did folks just give up on LIVE synch with Hardware and software instruments?

Now on LIVE 11.1, with an M1, and using MOTU MIDI Express xt box.
MatrixBrute, and an EricaSynth LXR-02 trying to synch with LIVE 11.1 running DrumComputer as well.
The LXR-02 will drift after some time.
Sample buffer is at 128 for now (streaming makes it harder).

It would be nice to know if anyone actually figured out the synch issues,
if its a LIVE thing, or a hardware box thing, usbMIDI vs the older MIDI, etc.

Live streaming is hard enough without these issues.
Serial MIDI was tight, man. TIGHT.
Istvan Peter B'Racz
BRACZsound

loopdokter

Post by loopdokter » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:46 pm

It still happens. When I can afford one, my solution will be an ERM Multiclock or something similar.

Fortunately I haven't had the energy or time to bother dealing with this any further.