What is best (non-free) software to convert WAV to MP3?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PeterChapman

What is best (non-free) software to convert WAV to MP3?

Post by PeterChapman » Sun May 03, 2020 11:14 am

What is the best software (non-free, non-online) to convert WAV to MP3? Price is not an important factor. Just in terms of best end result quality. I'm only doing it occasionally, don't need any batch processing or anything like that.

I am currently using NCH Switch Sound File Converter Plus at 320 kbps which seems to work fine. I am also on PC not Mac.

I guess my real question is this: Is there something available out there that would give a better quality result than NCH Switch? Or does that already give as best quality as is possible in conversion to MP3?

I was working in Ableton Live 10, which has built in export option for MP3 320kbps but had to go back to my Live 9 32 bit system due to technical issues with my computer. And unfortunately Live 9 can't export in MP3.

I usually export in WAV but just want to be able to email the smaller MP3 format files to people occasionally.

Any help, suggestions etc. would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

- Peter

Tarekith

Re: What is best (non-free) software to convert WAV to MP3?

Post by Tarekith » Sun May 03, 2020 12:33 pm

If you're after best audio results, switch to .m4a files and stop using mp3 IMVHO. Then you can use something like iTunes to create your lossy files, which does an amazing job surprisingly.

miyaru

Post by miyaru » Sun May 03, 2020 1:03 pm

I use wavelab lite for it, as it can code the mp3 files with name, author etc.
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

PeterChapman

Post by PeterChapman » Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am

Thank you for the replies and information.

Much appreciated!!!

- Peter