Combine CPU of two Macs using Ableton Possible?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanktron

Combine CPU of two Macs using Ableton Possible?

Post by spanktron » Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 pm

Hello everyone.
Hope you are healthy and kicking!

I was wondering if there is a way to use a Macbook Pro together with a Mac Mini in order to distribute the CPU load
between the two of them?

Would appreciate any info.

Thank you in advance

LQdb.Music

Re: Combine CPU of two Macs using Ableton Possible?

Post by LQdb.Music » Sun May 03, 2020 1:21 pm

spanktron wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 pm
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if there is a way to use a Macbook Pro together with a Mac Mini in order to distribute the CPU load
between the two of them?

Thank you in advance
You could check out this free software, called Audiogridder which can host plugins on different Macs to spread CPU-Load

https://www.gearnews.com/audiogridder-t ... -for-free/

cheers
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Hey there.
I tried Audiogridder already but it always quitts when i scan plugins on my macbook. i let it scan about 20 times. No luck

LQdb.Music

Post by LQdb.Music » Sun May 03, 2020 1:57 pm

spanktron wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm
Hey there.
I tried Audiogridder already but it always quitts when i scan plugins on my macbook. i let it scan about 20 times. No luck
Works fine for me, I use UAD, Arturia and u-he stuff. It took a while on first launch, but no problem so far for plugin scanning.
It needs a wired LAN connection though IMHO, for lower latency.
--
Live 10 w/ Push 2, Logic Pro X, S1 4, MOTU m4, Mac mini i7, Win10 Core i7 9700K/32GB/Asus TB3, KH120, Focal Alpha, this n that

cutflow

Post by cutflow » Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm

spanktron wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 1:07 pm
Hello everyone.

between the two of them?

Thank you in advance
I had this well solved last year with my 2012 quad core mbp, but it died last year and that handle loads amazing. now I have a duo core i7 2016 and wish I didn't buy it because it doesn't handle Ableton the way my 2012 quad core did. quad core makes a big difference.

I am happy that I am the type of person to just try to use Ableton plugins and no third parties. maybe use less third party plugins will definitely help you out.

spanktron

Post by spanktron » Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm

I am happy that I am the type of person to just try to use Ableton plugins and no third parties. maybe use less third party plugins will definitely help you out.
[/quote]

I am glad you are that type of person too but you obviously dont do much mastering. If you did you would not say that.

I might even stop using my computer. Much less problems. Maybe take the processor out so i can cook food.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon May 04, 2020 8:41 pm

If you use third-party instruments and effects Mainstage might be worth looking at.

And yes, dual-core cpus aren’t ideal for DAWs or any other modern heavy-duty software that’s properly multi-threaded.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

TLW

Post by TLW » Mon May 04, 2020 8:44 pm

cutflow wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm
I have no problems at all using third-party plugins, some of which provide things that Live does not. Including better metering, good linear-phase eq, linear-phase compression and a wider variety of effects.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.