Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
concierlo

Re: Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Post by concierlo » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:06 am

@pottering thank you for that explanation. Makes sense.
Question:
In my case - there isn't automation on the RX8 and it seems odd that a widely used plug-in like Izotope and Ableton would not be compatible in that sense or at least be "filtering" hidden values.

The "undo list" wouldn't solve it, but it can be a usable work around.

In other words you've identified the issue, it's not a bug= but it's a problem.... right?

Paying $xxx for an denoising plug-in = something I can't immediately grab and use without knowing that I might slowly have to "undo" manually until it hits my last actually user input.....
it kills pace..... right away.

I'll check if there is other automation from other plugins on the same track that could "crosstalk"¿?

Again, thank you for the explanation of what's happening.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 am

I have the same problem. One day it is working then a few hours later it is not :-(
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

.daniel.

Post by .daniel. » Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 am

Thanks to the tips and explanations above I was able to identify my trouble maker: iZotope RX5 Dialogue De-noise WHEN running in auto mode. (I have no idea about that tool and how to use it and just threw it on a low quality vocal track to see whether it can help me out and left the tool in the track for later reassessment.)

When you open the device parameter view of RX5 and hit play you can actually watch in real-time how the values are automatically amended in real-time - and when thinking about it makes total sense for an audio correction tool to adjust and correct in real-time depending on the current input... but again, I have no idea :D

--------------------------------

I guess it would be great if users were telling which devices they had trouble with so I thought I share from my inefficient search how this can be done rather effectively if you too having trouble and have no clue where to start looking.

1) Save your song as a new version (just to make sure).
2) Divide all your tracks within your project in two groups.
3) Delete group 1.
4) Hit Play ... let it play for a few seconds ... hit Stop.*
5) Undo and see whether group 1 re-appears.
5a) It does: your trouble-maker is in group 1 --> Divide all your tracks within your first group in two groups, go to (3) and repeat the procedure.
5b) It doesn't: your trouble-maker is in group 2 --> Divide all your tracks within your second group in two groups, go to (3) and repeat the procedure.

*Note: If this technique fails to identify your trouble maker, try playing the entire song (as described in step (4)) as RX5, for example, would only change values automatically to actual audio input while in silent parts it would make no adjustment (which by the way explains why the undo history only sometimes seems to be broken for some users because only when you are playing the part where your trouble maker has a chance to make trouble you will run into these problems).

By using this approach you are basically applying an efficient search algorithm. Maybe not the best, but if done properly it should take no longer than 5 minutes to identify what you are dealing with... that is if the problem is not caused by something else of course :D

dougdi

Post by dougdi » Sun May 09, 2021 5:17 pm

I’ve found the same issue, my workaround is to simply freeze and/or flatten the track.
Doug

dreamout

Post by dreamout » Wed May 19, 2021 7:09 pm

TacTicCertified wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 am
Just happened with me as well. I was working on a session for a few hours and out of no where my undo isnt working and says Undo Change "Threshold1" no idea what the deal is
I also got this problem with Ableton 11 some days ago. It is very annoying!
There seems to be no way to solve this problem.

MOROSFOLD

Post by MOROSFOLD » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:38 pm

I was able to identify the channel in my project that was causing it by step-by-step deleting channels out of my project and checking if I could undo. For me the culprit was an LFO that was constantly changing a certain parameter, if you have this issue, maybe check which channels you've used an LFO on! From what I'm reading here, the issue could have a lot of different sources though, but none are actually Ableton's fault

pottering

Post by pottering » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Note that it is possible it is not the LFO but the modulated plugin or device.

Draw an automation for the same knob/slider, if the automation disables itself, it is that knob that is sending messages like user intervention, not the LFO.
♥♥♥

luckykat

Post by luckykat » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:03 pm

I have the same issue & it is causing my client's project to be delayed.
What makes me unbelievably frustrated with Ableton is that there are so many people struggling here and in the same boat yet they to support producers and do nothing to fix this issue. Someone pointed out that there should be an alert that tells you exactly what is causing the problem. If you ever do get through to Ableton re: crashes, they tell you exactly what is causing it. But this can take weeks. If they have access to that, why don't producers. Weaker than water.

Gothboy

Post by Gothboy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 am

I'm having the same issue even when there's no plugins in the session Just dragging an audio loop into an audio track and I get "Undo change "Track Volume" for everything I do. It's even happening on my other drive running Ableton 9. Is this really plugin related?
Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz. 16 GB RAM
Mountain Lion 10.8.5/El Capitan 10.11.6
Live Suite 9.1.7 and 10.1.9

OfficialFractal

Post by OfficialFractal » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Same issue here. Having Undo / Redo completely break is kind of a show-stopper...

Gothboy

Post by Gothboy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:06 pm

About a week ago in the middle of a project the undo just started working again.....then went back and I have no undo again. Has anyone notified or received word about this from ableton?
Mac Pro Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz. 16 GB RAM
Mountain Lion 10.8.5/El Capitan 10.11.6
Live Suite 9.1.7 and 10.1.9

keluktaaraterra

Post by keluktaaraterra » Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:18 pm

I have encountered the same problem and it's occurring on one of my bigger track project that i'm working on and it's pretty annoying not to have the "Undo" button working properly. I just updated to Live 11.0.11 aswell, but still the problem remains...
Has anybody found a solution for this issue?

pottering

Post by pottering » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:40 am

It is a issue with a plugin or M4L device.

Users can check what exactly in Menu > Edit, it should show the last undo action, then you can check what action you DID NOT do yourself, but is appearing in the undo history anyways.

Then you can report the info to the plugin's dev and M4L's dev (some M4L devices are by Ableton themselves, but most actually are not).

And also share the info here with other users, about which plugins or devices cause the problem, makes it easier for everyone to deal with it.
♥♥♥

tinydreamland

Post by tinydreamland » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:17 pm

This Happened to me as well.
SOLUTION:
Option 1)
Find the plugin, switch off any adaptive or auto mode settings during the editing/ recording process, make a note to add the adaptive mode or AUTO modes afterwards, do not let auto modes or adaptive modes be on (RX plugins etc). This completely fixed my issue. Basically, if you can, find a preset that isn't automated, watch what auto does and replicate with a solidified preset to save you trouble in the future. Otherwise, if you need auto or adaptive, follow other steps.

OPTION 2)
Another thing is to turn off the plugin (yellow button on the effect rack), this also worked for me (until i had to turn it back on, so not the best option, but good for identifying).

Option 3)
freeze the track if you are at the point of not needing to make edits, or while temporarily working on another track and wanting to hear the plugin in as rendered.

biggest thing is to find the darn plugin that is working in auto or adaptive mode. This causes an error that tracks every little fluctuation/ movement in auto therefore burying your actual edits. Hope this helps

DannyWalkman

Post by DannyWalkman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:04 am

I've had the same issue, but a completely different solution from the ones mentioned here.

Check your MIDI mappings. Try to delete one by one, and see if that cleans up your history. Alternatively try to disconnect your MIDI ports, one by one.

I have multiple MIDI controllers, and one of them went haywire and started continuously triggering wrong CCs, which in turn created history events. It might also be an incompatibility between some of my controllers (same CCs doing different things at the same time). Or it might as well be Ableton doing something weird. For the moment I'm just trying to stay away from those CCs, until I figure it out. But since I deleted the MIDI mappings linked to those CCs, I get a clean history (although my MIDI activity is still blinking like crazy).