Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Monopolyphony

Re: Undo / CTRL+Z stops working

Post by Monopolyphony » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:25 pm

I found the "guilty" track in my project, freezing it helped (sharing it here as others might have the same problem):
In my Project it was the Chaotic Clinic.ADG drum set wit the Dr. Chaos effect. This generates random notes at a high frequency and overwrites all your inputs, which will basically render the undo function useless. Freezing the track solved the problem for me.

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:53 am

Monopolyphony wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:25 pm
I found the "guilty" track in my project, freezing it helped (sharing it here as others might have the same problem):
In my Project it was the Chaotic Clinic.ADG drum set wit the Dr. Chaos effect. This generates random notes at a high frequency and overwrites all your inputs, which will basically render the undo function useless. Freezing the track solved the problem for me.
I think it is the Preset Sequence (Seq) in it, that automatically changes Network Pattern presets, if you can live without it then you can skip the freezing.
♥♥♥

Paladini09

Post by Paladini09 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:22 am

This happens to me without any plugins being used in the project.
I have to hit control Z literally 5 or more times then it undo's what I'm trying to undo but sometimes i hit it that fast in frustration that i go too far back,to say this kills my productivity is an understatement as i stream live productions and having to stop the flow to sort out undo is rubbish.
Ive been using ableton since the first version and this has only started in the last few months and has never happened before.
I'm currently on an up to date Live 10 Studio.

geoskews

Post by geoskews » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:44 am

Just keeping this alive to say it is happening with me, RX seems to be the culprit, but only this instance
of the project. Assuming it’s an iZotope problem, but maybe there’s an Ableton fix somewhere.

sasharainey

Post by sasharainey » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:18 pm

having the same problem with all plugins. Just tried one plugin in standalone and Ctrl+Z works perfectly, which to me implies that Ableton is the problem. Any fixes?

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:22 am

Live records all of the actions in your live set, so you need to work out what is creating actions that you don't want and remove, it is not a problem of Ableton Live.

Cheers
D

DannyWalkman

Post by DannyWalkman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:50 am

S4racen wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:22 am
Live records all of the actions in your live set, so you need to work out what is creating actions that you don't want and remove, it is not a problem of Ableton Live.

Cheers
D
I totally agree. I've made a clear suggestion about this in the previous page, about checking your MIDI CCs. But I do think Ableton could be more helpful in finding the cause of this problem. Like a history changes log, where you could see what specifically is being triggered and where.

jord0

Post by jord0 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:48 am

Same issue with izotope RX8 Voice De-noise.

zenluiz

Post by zenluiz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:20 pm

S4racen wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:22 am

Cheers
D
In my opinion, that assumption is not always correct. If, and only if, the problem happened in any DAW, then that's right, the fault is on the plugin. But, have you guys tried the same plugins, same scenario in other DAWs? Download REAPER, for instance, and test.

I have right now a similar situation, where multiple plugins act weird. The undo functionality does not work correctly. For instance, I change 3 parameters in AMEK 200 plugin, then I press CMD+Z (or Edit->Undo) 3 times, but only the last parameter change is undone and the other 2 are "ignored", so I have to manually press the Undo function on the plugin itself. This is extremely annoying and time consuming, breaking the workflow.
I realized this doesn't happen in all plugins though.
However, to check if this was a Live thing or not, I tested the same situation in Reaper and in that DAW the Undo works as expected.

zenluiz

Post by zenluiz » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:31 pm

I'd like to share a workaround: viewtopic.php?t=247138

FurkanTopal

Post by FurkanTopal » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:23 pm

I have same issue. Mine is saying Undo change "all notes off" and it's weird af. It wasn't happening previously.

FurkanTopal

Post by FurkanTopal » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:28 am

Btw I found the solution. This derives from something generates randomized parameters all the time automatically, for example "chord generator" is one of those plugins. You have to freeze the track. There's nothing else to do to get rid of that ctrl + z blockage.

marchseventh

Post by marchseventh » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:47 am

Hi,
I removed the M4L plug-ins one by one, Then I found my problem was caused by the M4L device called “Cambridge Bloatationizer”