Help Needed. Trying to record external instrument

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CurcuitMonoStation724

Help Needed. Trying to record external instrument

Post by CurcuitMonoStation724 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:23 pm

I have an analog synth. I would like to simply record the notes it plays into Abelton. I see notes getting layed down, but upon playback I get no audio. Ive searched and tried various settings with not luck. I also followed the suggestions Ableton provides to yet no avail. Im new to Ableton so please have mercy on me lol. Im using Live lite 10 and of course external instrument isnt an option. I have to believe this is doable in lite! Im pretty tech savy or so I thought! Thanks guys!

mrblackbat

Re: Help Needed. Trying to record external instrument

Post by mrblackbat » Sat May 23, 2020 6:43 pm

I'm assuming you have created a midi track and are recording the notes you play on the external synth into that track? If so, to play back through Ableton without having the external instrument, you need to create a separate audio track. On that track set the audio input channel to be the channel you have your synth plugged into, then on the midi track set the new audio channel as the "Audio To" setting, and set the Midi To (little drop down above the "monitor" buttons) to the modi channel your synth is set to, or "All channels" if in doubt. You will need to set the monitor on the audio track to "In", and then you should hear back your synth playing the midi notes.