Rename your plugins for easier identification & categorization?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kc80

Rename your plugins for easier identification & categorization?

Post by kc80 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm

I have alot of plugins and the names are not very descriptive of what they actually do with names like "HV1176" and such. I do use the category folders for organization but there's only 7 of them and would need more to really make sense of all the plugin categories. Has anyone come up with a solution ?

jestermgee

Re: Rename your plugins for easier identification & categorization?

Post by jestermgee » Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 pm

I simply create an instrument rack with a loaded instance of a plugin and then you can save that however you like. Create folders in your user library for different categories and file each plugin away where you need. Great for effects and sorting into appropriate collections. Then you just forget about the "plugin" tab in Live and use your instrument racks instead. I also tend to add an EQ8 to each rack too as I always have one on each track anyway.

kc80

Post by kc80 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 pm
I simply create an instrument rack with a loaded instance of a plugin and then you can save that however you like.
Ah good thinking, thats a decent workaround!

kc80

Post by kc80 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 am

Realizing this is good for throwing a VST effect into a rack but it doesn't work so well for Packs with sub-folders of presets and such.

I can put lock one of ableton's color coded categories onto a pack with subfolders but I can't move the whole Pack into the User Library if you know what I mean.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Sat May 23, 2020 1:05 am

Sorry, no idea what you mean.

I don't use the colour coding thing, I just create folders in my user library and save racks/presets where I want them. That's as complex as I like to get there.