Installing in "Program Files" instead of "ProgramData"

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
just_in

Installing in "Program Files" instead of "ProgramData"

Post by just_in » Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm

Live installs in ProgramData by default, but I would prefer to have it inside Program Files like all other software.
I read in some old posts that it installs in ProgramData to make automatic updates work better (though other programs, like Firefox, work just fine that way, even without the background service--you just get a UAC prompt then).

But in case I don't need automatic updates, could there be any other issues with installing it in Program Files?

ANECHOIC SHOCK

Re: Installing in "Program Files" instead of "ProgramData"

Post by ANECHOIC SHOCK » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:08 am

Seriously? No replies to this post?

I think the answer should be "it's just the installation path, it's a non-issue", but I'm not sure.

Soory dude. Seems like we both went searching for an answer, but in the end, all that we'd find was each other.

just_in

Re: Installing in "Program Files" instead of "ProgramData"

Post by just_in » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:02 pm

FWIW, since then I've been installing into Program Files without any problems. :)

And if you're doing it for security reasons, you should change the security settings/properties of the Ableton folder, because by default the files inside have write permissions for all users. It's possible that this can interfere with automatic updates, but if you're installing Live manually it's fine.