Please recommend Windows laptop for music production!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SvenH

Please recommend Windows laptop for music production!

Post by SvenH » Tue May 26, 2020 5:58 am

I am interested in getting a Microsoft Windows laptop for music production. For highest portability, I would like to sometimes be able to produce with just a laptop and headphones (ATH-M50X). I use mainly Ableton Live and I want to be able to record virtual instruments with Lives computer MIDI keyboard (i.e. with reasonable low latency).

Is there such a laptop that allows me to do this without an external soundcard? If not - if I really need an external soundcard to drive my head phones and get low latency, what is the most convenient soundcard on the go? (I can still use my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 when I need to record vocals and guitars, but I want to use the smallest possible soundcard when not recording external sounds.)

Of course, to be suitable for music production, the laptop needs to have sufficient cpu, ram, and long term storage to be able to run relevant plugins. I don't mind freezing a couple of tracks if I can't run everything *simultaneously*, but I want to be able to use all the latest plugins at least on one track at a time!

Grateful for insights!
/Sven

SvenH

Re: Please recommend Windows laptop for music production!

Post by SvenH » Fri May 29, 2020 1:37 pm

No one in the forum that uses a Windows laptop successfully with Live?

Any idea where to look for this information?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 29, 2020 4:42 pm

it's a very very very common question. look at peoples' signatures to see what they use and use the search function on the forum. I think most of them were moved to the Lounge forum.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Fri May 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:42 pm
it's a very very very common question. look at peoples' signatures to see what they use and use the search function on the forum. I think most of them were moved to the Lounge forum.
I am sorry, I searched this forum without finding any recent enough posts to be relevant. I would not expect the The Lounge "Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production" to be the best place to discuss computers related to music production... :roll: But thanks for pointing me to the Lounge, I will check it out. :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm

there's a need here for a sticky to collect threads on this topic but I think Ableton's shying away from being seen as promoting certain hardware. I've been in threads discussing this before. :?

some threads I found
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=235626

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=230433
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 30, 2020 1:54 am

SvenH wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:58 am
I am interested in getting a Microsoft Windows laptop for music production. For highest portability, I would like to sometimes be able to produce with just a laptop and headphones (ATH-M50X). I use mainly Ableton Live and I want to be able to record virtual instruments with Lives computer MIDI keyboard (i.e. with reasonable low latency).

Is there such a laptop that allows me to do this without an external soundcard? If not - if I really need an external soundcard to drive my head phones and get low latency, what is the most convenient soundcard on the go? (I can still use my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 when I need to record vocals and guitars, but I want to use the smallest possible soundcard when not recording external sounds.)

Of course, to be suitable for music production, the laptop needs to have sufficient cpu, ram, and long term storage to be able to run relevant plugins. I don't mind freezing a couple of tracks if I can't run everything *simultaneously*, but I want to be able to use all the latest plugins at least on one track at a time!

Grateful for insights!
/Sven
Msi GS63VR.

They have more powerful ones now. I bought mine in 2017 still going strong.

Usually on most PCs you download ASIO4ALL and it allows you to achieve low latency with your stock sound card.

Hasn't failed me yet. I'm not sure on how well stock soundcards drive headphones though.

Scarlets have 2i2s and solos which are small. Behringer makes a $30-$40 interface and it generally has nice reviews.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat May 30, 2020 5:49 am

Thanks for all the links, these threads seem good to get me started - not the least the performance test thread (I never thought of searching for laptops in that one)!

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:54 am

Msi GS63VR.

Usually on most PCs you download ASIO4ALL and it allows you to achieve low latency with your stock sound card.

Hasn't failed me yet. I'm not sure on how well stock soundcards drive headphones though.

Scarlets have 2i2s and solos which are small. Behringer makes a $30-$40 interface and it generally has nice reviews.
Thanks, great info! I think I remember reading that gaming laptops are not suitable for music production, but I don't remember why. Is it noisy?

If I sometimes want to be completely mobile, i.e. running the laptop on battery, is that practically possible? Or does it slow down to much because of some power saving scheme? If on battery, is it possible to power a scarlett 2i2 from the computer or will it drain the battery to quickly?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 am

SvenH wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 am
jlgrimes wrote:

Msi GS63VR.

Thanks, great info! I think I remember reading that gaming laptops are not suitable for music production, but I don't remember why. Is it noisy?

If I sometimes want to be completely mobile, i.e. running the laptop on battery, is that practically possible? Or does it slow down to much because of some power saving scheme? If on battery, is it possible to power a scarlett 2i2 from the computer or will it drain the battery to quickly?
I have been using Gaming laptops. They are generally stable, powerful boxes.

Probably overkill in some respects though but they are fairly quiet as most of their coolers are usually liquid cooled and SSD drives being the norm now for new boxes, loud noise is ususlly indicating a problem (usually with cooling). The gaming desktop I have is about just as quiet (probably even more quiet), than my normal desktop. You can spec these to be pretty silent if you spend the extra money.

SvenH

Post by SvenH » Sat May 30, 2020 7:05 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 am
SvenH wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:57 am
jlgrimes wrote:

Msi GS63VR.

I have been using Gaming laptops. They are generally stable, powerful boxes.

Probably overkill in some respects though but they are fairly quiet as most of their coolers are usually liquid cooled and SSD drives being the norm now for new boxes, loud noise is ususlly indicating a problem (usually with cooling). The gaming desktop I have is about just as quiet (probably even more quiet), than my normal desktop. You can spec these to be pretty silent if you spend the extra money.
Interesting! Thanks for taking the time to share!