Live Classical Piano, Max 4 Live Velocity, un-quantize?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
buckman

Live Classical Piano, Max 4 Live Velocity, un-quantize?

Post by buckman » Tue May 26, 2020 8:40 am

I am new to this style, and quite like Ableton's MIDI.

I want to do some slow neo-classical solo emotional piano tracks, and have the delicate piano sound I want to use.

However I am for the first time looking at the MIDI plugs ins that come with Live 10 Suite, namely Velocity and groove tool to know the notes off the grid for a more live sound?

I am looking at Ludovico Einaudi, Olafur Arnaulds, Ben Lukas Boysen 'Gravity' album (which incidentally was all done on Live with a piano plug in!)

I haven't really touched upon any of the M4L plugs since upgrading to Live 10 Suite (Latest), so can anyone recommend any good velocity or live timing M4L plugs i should use or download to help me here that i may have missed?

If I play straight block chords, and some quantized melody on 1/16 quantization, is there a suite of plugs maybe I could make into a rack that would change key, random velocity, random start points to make it all sound live/classical?

Also is there a plug in (native?) that can play a minor key sequence and 'constrain it' to just a major key sequence?

Thank you for any help

pottering

Re: Live Classical Piano, Max 4 Live Velocity, un-quantize?

Post by pottering » Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 am

Maybe try using "Extract Groove" in various songs from Ludovico Einaudi, Olafur Arnaulds, Ben Lukas Boysen, etc. , then experiment with those extracted grooves in your own music?
♥♥♥

buckman

Re: Live Classical Piano, Max 4 Live Velocity, un-quantize?

Post by buckman » Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 am

Good idea, pottering... never really used grooves before but it seems it could work from the youtube tutorials i've seen on live and more realistic piano

I will play with the Velocity MIDI plug in, as that looks like the Random feature could be good?

Also is the 'Scale' plug in, the one that could conform a major key to a minor and vice versa?

I just feel like I am missing a trick with the wealth of M4L midi plugs that could also help out in this style? (not sure where to look for those?)