Recording tempo/clock from external sync

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
analog_rome

Recording tempo/clock from external sync

Post by analog_rome » Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi - I haven't had any luck with this.... I am working on a hardware performance setup where I run all the tracks into Ableton for recording.

I am setting Ableton to receive MIDI clock from an external sequencer. and sync and transport work OK -- external tempo takes over and recording starts and stops with the sequencer.

But I really want to be able to record the external clock into the tempo envelope on the master track, so tempo changes are in sync with the audio tracks.

Is this possible? Thanks for any suggestions.

Tone Deft

Re: Recording tempo/clock from external sync

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 28, 2020 3:58 am

basically Live only deals with notes and CC#s, it doesn't record a lot of types of midi data and I think that's what you're up against.

I believe this would be a good entry-level max4Live device to make from scratch. get the BPM from Live and have max widgets convert that number to a CC# from 0-127 and sends out that CC#. that device/track's output could be captured by a second midi channel recording the CC#s. or maybe you could just midi map that CC# to the BPM indicator in Live. :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

analog_rome

Post by analog_rome » Thu May 28, 2020 3:13 pm

I am searching maxforlive.com for possibilities because I can't take enough time out to get into max....

Also I am checking out Bome MIDI Translator Pro, that looks like a pretty interesting possibility.

horriblyodd

Post by horriblyodd » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:00 pm

analog_rome wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 pm
But I really want to be able to record the external clock into the tempo envelope on the master track, so tempo changes are in sync with the audio tracks.

Is this possible? Thanks for any suggestions.
Did you ever end up finding a solution to this? I'm searching for the same thing right now with no luck. Have my MPC 2000 XL clocking Live and would love to record the subtle variation as automation. Kind of the last piece of the puzzle now.

analog_rome

Post by analog_rome » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:21 am

No.... Just had to work in using Ableton as master. Wondering about using the new "follow" feature.

ssmmhst

Post by ssmmhst » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Surprised they don't already have this feature considering they're able to receive midi clock so the program clearly is registering the bpm.
Very frustrating when trying to record a set and have the effects remain in time.
Might have to record a set and edit the bpm in Live after the fact. Live is getting a bit frustrating.

Any ideas whether this issue is actually addressed in Live 11?

ambientwks

Post by ambientwks » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi There,

Not sure if this is precisely the right thread to drop into, but I've had continual issues with this from L9 all the way through the latest L11 production release.

Setup is receiving an audio signal from a modular, sync'ed to Link via the ML:2 module into a Pam's New Workout.

I set a simple 1/8th note clock into an envelope with minimum attack, and record the resulting audio 'pings'

No matter what I do, or what sync methods I've used, the recording variation is +/- 10 milliseconds into live. I can sit there and re-run the same test on the same day, and it will never come out the same twice.

The weird thing is that all Ableton is really doing is just recording audio at this point - but it still doesn't lay down in the same place despite rock solid clock feeding the modular. PNW has definitely had clocking issues in the past, but they are essentially resolved and ML:2 is providing textbook dinsync at the right level to PNW to generate my pulses.

At this point, maybe I should repeat the experiment with other DAWs to see if the variance exists thre? Anyone else had similiar experience? I'm clued in on both the clocking path and the signal path and I am out of options at this point.