HARD DRIVE STORAGE question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
micksmuse

HARD DRIVE STORAGE question

Post by micksmuse » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 pm

so using alive 9 and have a windows 10 computer with enough ram and a 250 SSD and a 2 TB HD

have been good to go for a long time
but have purchased native complete which is over 400GB storage.

i now have all my program files on the 250 SSD
and my data on the 2TB HD

only have about 40 GB left of space on the SSD all my other programs i have been using on the SSD figuring it was quicker access and had been advised to put my program files on that drive.

but of course the NATIVE files won't fit.
is there any advice as to how to divide up the space better
i now use Superior Drummer and several other large programs and want to keep the NATIVE in with those because ableton seems to like one folder for the VST's

HELP. thanks.

jestermgee

Re: HARD DRIVE STORAGE question

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:49 pm

You may want to upgrade that SSD to a 500GB or 1TB because although 40GB is enough for now, moving forward that will start to become an issue so may be something to manage now. Other option would be to remove some junk you simply do not need anymore.

Native Access will allow you to set the locations for your VST plugins and sample library data separately.

Install your application and VST data to your SSD and all the content data to your HDD. Probably set your download folder to the HDD location to a temp folder too.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:01 pm

thanks so much for response. couple questions.:
sounds like i should bite bullet and get a 1TB SSD.

any suggestions on brand model. guessing i need a 2.5 for a desktop

is an external SSD ill advised?

any suggestions on how to clone over what i have on SSD now to the new drive. should i just bounce everything to HHD and then back to the new SSD once it is installed?
thanks.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:42 pm

You know, to make it easier, you could just get an external SSD. I have a little SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD (2TB) and I love it. Super fast.

I have all my libraries on there, including my NI stuff, and it works like a charm. You'll just need to tell Kontakt to refer to the SSD for some of the libraries.

I've been rocking this set-up for a couple of years without problems.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm

thanks for input:

so could i just put all my recording stuff on the external so i wouldn't have to stress out the internal 250GB SSD (i can run it through usb 3 or the USB type C port
i could just keep the operating system on the internal SSD and other various non-musical programs on it.
i use ableton which seems to only like one custom VST folder and that way i could make sure everything is in that folder. instead of keeping the library separate.

TLW

Post by TLW » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:29 pm

External SSDs are OK so long as you can arrange them to receive TRIM commands. I believe Windows 10 can do this over USB (Macs can’t).

A Thunderbolt connection will give you more speed, but how much difference that would make in the real world is debatable and TB stuff tends to be expensive. As you’re running a desktop, if there’s room in the case, even just somewhere a drive could be put such as the case floor, I’d go for a SATA one myself rather than external. Or even reconfigure with an M2 system and software drive and a SATA SSD for everything else.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

micksmuse

Post by micksmuse » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:28 pm

i guess i could also just replace the 250GB SSD M.2 that came with the computer with a 1TB internal M.2
before taking it out bounce everything currently on the 250GB SSD onto the internal HDD that has plenty of space

and then make a recovery flash drive to boot off of for after i swap the SSD's since my current SSD is my boot drive.

that sounds like the easiest since price of the External SSD is about the same as the 1TB internal M.2

what do you think?