Link and Ipad Ready Score Programs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The_Subject

Link and Ipad Ready Score Programs

Post by The_Subject » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Hi All,

thanks for reading I'm not sure this is actually production.

I am integrating live drums and ableton and I know what I need but am not turning up a huge amount with google so I'm hoping for some recommendations here for a program/app for scoring music that fulfills the following:

1 - Be on an IPad, either the whole thing or just be an ipad app reader (for files made on my computer, below), that can also,

2 - Sync via link with ableton including stop/start, so I trigger (from the drums) the beginning of a backing track (from the PC), and the sheet-music (on the IPad) will play along,

3 - I am writing the sheet music for already recorded music, so need an editing program and would far rather it were PC than tablet based, Sibelius or MuseScore or whatever that,

4 - doesn't cost a huge amount and ideally free. Not that I'm scared of spending a bit of money but it's gotta promise to be worth it as used some very awkward non-intuitive ones.

Is there one program or a writer-reader-combo that people recommend that would fulfill the criteria? Seems pretty straight forward but the minute I add "link" to a google search, any page with the word pops up which is a lot of course.

Thanks,

yur2die4

Re: Link and Ipad Ready Score Programs

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:35 pm

I don’t think that exact thing exists but I can see that it’d be realistically possible to create and would be beneficial to a number of musicians!

There Might be a few things I can offer that would allow you to chew on some ideas and perhaps even implement a make-shift option of what you want. But a tool might actually already exist in some ways also.

An example of something that doesn’t apply specifically to this, but opens up possibilities, is a recent app which allows midi notes to trigger time points in a video.

Also, many manuscript apps do allow midi input for page turning.

There is a limited range of apps which do support Link and simply send midi notes, especially on a timeline. I can imagine it being super annoying though if you intend to play one song you’d have to load that in both the sheet music app And a sequencer app. Not really enjoyable.

Lastly, I’ll mention there are some apps that merge Link and midi clock. So an app might follow Link from your computer and send midi clock to other apps that don’t support Link. What’s not that surprising is searching Worship music resources for subjects like this. I am secular myself, but I acknowledge that they have a strong, talented community with a lot of knowledge and ingenuity.

If there’s any particular avenue of this you’re curious about, feel free to reply. I was pretty ambiguous because it’s a lot of effort going into the specifics. And there can be unexpected bumps.

The_Subject

Re: Link and Ipad Ready Score Programs

Post by The_Subject » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 am

Hey yur2die4 Thank you for the input.

It's frustrating cos it seems to me this should be really obvious and simple.

From what you've said I think I need:

Link to Midi App - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/link-to-midi/id1066216595

and any ipad manuscript app that supports midi input.

Thank you for the pointers, much appreciated, and saves me some stress of wondering if my theory will turn into a useless waste of money!!