How to identify the type of a device?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pulpicon

How to identify the type of a device?

Post by pulpicon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:48 am

1. Is there any quick tooltip or other way to identify a given device :?:
2. Is there any quick way to jump to the description of a device (in the online help or Manual) :?:

Probably some very noobish questions: Often I cannot tell what type a device is, for example when I load a Clip from the Singularities Pack (Bass of Velvet.alc).
I see that a Simpler device is involved as Instrument inside an Audio Rack (because I recognize the Simpler, it is labeled "Bass of Velvet" though). In the following FX, there is a "Warming Tray". I already guessed it is the "Saturator" device, but the only way to find out seems to be to press "Q" for hot-swapping mode, then the device type is shown in the browser. I expected to select the device and press F1 to get further Information, but that doesn't work. Even the help window doesn't show or mention the type of the device, but at least it explains that it is a device and who created it ;)

At least I have found workaround solutions for both issues (Hotswapping for device identification and searching in the pdf manual).
Last edited by pulpicon on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tone Deft

Re: How to identify a Device type?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:35 pm

I was reading the Post your most obscure Ableton Live knowledge thread and saw this regarding the tweaking the options.txt file. not something most users do but is this what you'd like?

viewtopic.php?p=1774174#p1774174

TBH I haven't tried this yet.

baseinstinct wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:32 pm
Shift Gorden wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:11 pm
I LOVE this one: edit the options.txt file in Ableton's library folder. Add this:

-ShowDeviceSlots

Now, in Session view, using a new icon in the bottom right you'll be able to display each tracks effects right in mixer view. Very useful!

That's really cool. Are any other options like this described somewhere?

Upon trying, it does not work. I right clicked in browser on User Library, opened folder in explorer, created options.txt because it had not existed, added a line -ShowDeviceSlots, saved, restarted Live, but no additional icon is to be found among the menu ones (mixer, i/o, track delay etc).

Could this option have been dropped since this was posted?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pulpicon

Re: How to identify a Device type?

Post by pulpicon » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm

I find that "Display device" option for the mixer quite helpful indeed, especially because it allows to quickly jump between EQ devices for mixing. But in the case as described in my first post, it only displays "Instrument Rack", the internally chained Saturator doesn't show up. At least I am sure now that the outer container is really an Instrument Rack device.

Bobbito147

Re: How to identify the type of a device?

Post by Bobbito147 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:30 am

So is there a way to identify a device?

[jur]
Site Admin

Re: How to identify the type of a device?

Post by [jur] » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:18 am

If you're not yet familiar with the devices' look, and if the name you see doesn't tell you anything because it's actually a preset name, then right-click the device's title bar and uncheck the "show preset name" option.
Ableton Forum Moderator