I need help with Audio to Midi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
C0nTact

I need help with Audio to Midi

Post by C0nTact » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi,
I'm new at Ableton and I have a problem with the Audio to Midi function. I have some wav-files (Kicks, snares, hihat, etc) and want them to slice to Midi. I can only slice some files to Midi. The problem is there are files, where I don't have the option "slice to Midi", only convert to harmony, melody and drums.

Shift Gorden

Re: I need help with Audio to Midi

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 pm

Right. You can slice a loop to a midi track so it chops up the transients/time and places all the component parts into a drum rack.

You can't slice a kick or snare (or any other one-shot style sample) since there is nothing to slice.

You just need to drag those individual samples into a drum rack cell. Or, you can select several samples at once and drag them into a drum rack and it will load each sample into an individual cell. Is that what you're after?

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:01 pm

C0nTact wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm
Hi,
I'm new at Ableton and I have a problem with the Audio to Midi function. I have some wav-files (Kicks, snares, hihat, etc) and want them to slice to Midi. I can only slice some files to Midi. The problem is there are files, where I don't have the option "slice to Midi", only convert to harmony, melody and drums.
Keep in mind that Ableton is kind of "guessing" what are the best options for the file.

Slicing is normally an option for loops or some type of file with clearly defined transients.

I'm guessing if you warp the file and manually assign Warp markers to your slice points, it probably will force Live to consider your file a loop and give you an option to slice.

C0nTact

Post by C0nTact » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Thank you both, you helped me with the informations.