Change automation from fader to utility gain

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Carlos Damer

Change automation from fader to utility gain

Post by Carlos Damer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi there, my first post here!

I am finishing a mix and made the mistake to automate all my volumes at the track fader, not with utility gain (noob, I am used to Logic and being able to trim them).

I want to copy the automation from the fader and “transfer” it to utility gain, but they don’t quite match the volumes.
Is there a way to do this without losing the automation work I did with the track fader?

Thanks

RedSkyRoad

Re: Change automation from fader to utility gain

Post by RedSkyRoad » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 pm

AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 4GHz // 16GB RAM // M.2 SSD
Ableton [latest stable release]
Windows 10 Pro

Carlos Damer

Post by Carlos Damer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:56 pm

RedSkyRoad wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:33 pm
This helped me : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OND_3tGSCcc
Thanks! I saw that same video but the problem is that -5db in the utility gain is not the same as -5db in the track fader :(

pottering

Post by pottering » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Group the Utility in a Rack, macro Utility's Gain to a macro knob, then set the macro knob's Max to +6.0 (which is the same maximum in the track faders) instead of +35.0.

Then you can copy and paste the automation from the track fader to that macro knob's automation, since it has the same -inf to +6.0 range.

Carlos Damer

Post by Carlos Damer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 am

pottering wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 pm
Group the Utility in a Rack, macro Utility's Gain to a macro knob, then set the macro knob's Max to +6.0 (which is the same maximum in the track faders) instead of +35.0.

Then you can copy and paste the automation from the track fader to that macro knob's automation, since it has the same -inf to +6.0 range.
Great! I’ll try that, thanks a lot! :)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:32 am

Carlos Damer wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 am
pottering wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 pm

Great! I’ll try that, thanks a lot! :)
Nice tip!

What I do, instead of transferring my Fader Volume automations to a Utility Gain, is I transfer them to the Chain Volume of an empty chain in an empty rack. This way there is no conversion necessary - as the volume range is exactly the same.

Carlos Damer

Post by Carlos Damer » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm

[/quote]

Nice tip!

What I do, instead of transferring my Fader Volume automations to a Utility Gain, is I transfer them to the Chain Volume of an empty chain in an empty rack. This way there is no conversion necessary - as the volume range is exactly the same.
[/quote]

That’s interesting too. I still have to get my head around mixing with Live, it works differently than what I’m used in other DAWs. I guess having a fixed workflow for that kind of stuff is the way to go