Recording Audio cuts out repeatedly

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Omendob

Recording Audio cuts out repeatedly

Post by Omendob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm trying to record some vocals on Abletone Live 10 Lite and I haven't had any issues, but then my mic fell off my desk. After that anytime I try to record it will record about an 8th of a second before it cuts out for a 24th of a second and then record again.

My audio looks like this.

I thought it was just from dropping my mic but I tried recording in Audacity and it worked perfectly fine.

I also tried recording on two other different microphones on Ableton and I got the same results.

Tone Deft

Re: Recording Audio cuts out repeatedly

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:22 am

does it record your vocals or is it static noise? what does it look like zoomed in all the way? hehehehe what does it look like in Spectrum? :twisted:

LOOKS to me that somehow you're recording the actual digital audio going into your computer, at least that's what it would look like. try changing your sample rate and see if it changes accordingly.

how to fix it? slap your gear upside the head! reset some gear, twiddle some settings, something went out to lunch. or maybe I'm way out in the weeds on this one. :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Omendob

Post by Omendob » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:24 pm

Well I tried changing the sampling rate and it worked and stopped the clipping from happening but now I can't record in time with my music. It records a quarter second late. :(

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:30 pm

the higher the sample rate, the lower the latency.
the lower the sample rate, the higher the latency.

I think you need to get everything at the same sample rate. all your gear.

moreover it just shouldn't matter. I think there's something about your complete setup that's doing something weird.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

xpresso

Post by xpresso » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:18 pm

I'm new to this music production thing and i just downloaded Ableton to my computer, and when i tried recording with my mic this also shows up how to fix it?

Joe maddox

Post by Joe maddox » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am

So what settings should I fix/set things to. I'm finding if we are all having the same problem we are not using the wrong stuff, scarlet solo direct to ableton, so is abelton just a garbage program and I wasted my money?

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:18 am

Wow don't go overboard with your system info. No info no help.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:08 pm

Joe maddox wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 am
So what settings should I fix/set things to. I'm finding if we are all having the same problem we are not using the wrong stuff, scarlet solo direct to ableton, so is abelton just a garbage program and I wasted my money?
More likely lack of experience in the program and improper setup would be my guess, but that's mainly based off lack of details to work with and my own 13 year successful run with Live.

Maybe a screenshot of your audio preferences and a description of your specific issue could help.

Joe maddox

Post by Joe maddox » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 am

Yeah that would be nice. The computer has no problem running any other program. Freezes every time I run ableton. In fact it has killed every HP I have ever bought new just for this. This is my third and final time using ableton. The program is trash, the money is spent better elsewhere. There is no customer service and obviously trolls work the forums here. Do not waste your money on ableton!

Joe maddox

Post by Joe maddox » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am

No one was help with the dozens of informative threads people already made experiencing my problem... when there are so many all with the same issue, it's the software. Shit software, for fucking djs and mixers

Mark Williams

Post by Mark Williams » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Joe maddox wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am
No one was help with the dozens of informative threads people already made experiencing my problem... when there are so many all with the same issue, it's the software. Shit software, for fucking djs and mixers
YOU failed to give any specific system details or info, no one will help without some basic info.

Don't like it, then do not let the door hit you on the way out.

Obviously you cannot express yourself wihout profanity, really shows a complete lack of education & class.
Live 11, M1 Mac Mini, Push 2, Scarlett 18i20 & ADA8200, Softube Console 1 Mk2, Deepmind12, Hydrasynth, Cobalt 8M, Moog Subsequent 25, IK Uno Synth Pro, Plethora X3, Nord Drum 3P

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:54 pm

You are using a streamers USB mic into a real-time DAW. That is your issue. Are you using aSIO drivers in Ableton or Direct Audio drivers because there is a bit difference and I know if you used AsIO drivers you would not be able to select the USB mic as an input so that is probably another issue... incorrect configuration.

3 computers and you have the same issue with all? Not too good at connecting the dots there, just blame the tools like most inexperienced noobs do.

if you use consumer grade equipment you get consumer grade results. The yeti is not designed for pro audio applications, it is a quick and easy fix for streamers to make their noise and is not designed to operate well in an application that also has to generate real-time audio so you will have issues when the application cannot manage the basic audio communication the mic USB interface has.... Remember, a USB mic is just a cheap audio interface with a mic capsule tacked on.

These are your issues but maybe you should switch to a Xylophone as you may have a better chance of understanding how that works.
Last edited by jestermgee on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:38 am

Edited - Deleted the OPs rants. If he doesn't want to take people's advice and honestly seek help here, just leave it be and let him find help elsewhere.
Ableton Forum Administrator

Somnibus

Post by Somnibus » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:14 am

I am having the same issues as the OP.
Difference is I'm fully aware I'm a newb and I know it's an issue on my end. If there's anything you guys can do to help I'd appreciate it. If the following info isn't what you need let me know and I'll try and get you more pertinent data.

Driver type - MME/DirectX
Audio Input Device - Line (Audiobox USB 96) Wave
Audio Output Device - Speakers (Audiobox USB 96 Wave
Sample Rate - 44100
Default SR & Pitch Conversion - High
Input Buffer Suze - 8192
Input Latency - 186ms
Output Buffer Size - 4096
Output Latency - 92.9ms
Driver Error Comp - 0
Overall Latency - 279ms

I expect it has something to do with the USB connection despite the good reviews the PreSonus AudioBix 96 received. Again, I don't expect miracles but if someone could point me towards something productive I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

AbletonMASCHINE

Post by AbletonMASCHINE » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:00 am

Short Reply:

Try the following: Driver should be ASIO, no Windows stuff, ASIO buffer around 256, sample rate 48 kHz in the whole system including Windows settings

Then I would expect a latency between 10 and 20 ms.