How to align all selected clips together

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
voiceofjeffwallin

How to align all selected clips together

Post by voiceofjeffwallin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm

This is all arrangement view.

I do narration for audiobooks, I record one long track and snap my fingers whenever I have to do a retake. Then I listen to the track and delete the bad takes. This leaves blank space that I could just drag and drop the track over, however I have a feel ableton has a command that will speed this process up(I can have hundreds of edits in a track) so pauseing, dragging and dropping is very time consuming.

If I do this and highlight all the clips in the end can I click some hot key that will just move them all next to eachother?

NF2K

Re: How to align all selected clips together

Post by NF2K » Sat May 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Once you've deleted all the bad takes, leaving gaps between clips, select all the clips by right clicking the track's title bar then clicking Select Track Content (or simply ctrl-a if it's the only track with any arrangement content). Move (or copy) the clips into session view, then move them back to arrangement view

(I know this is an old question; I'm replying in the case anyone else searches for a solution in future. Someone let me know if replying to old posts is discouraged. I didn't catch anything about it in the FAQ or subforum rules)

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am

My answer to the question would be:

Delete the bad takes using the shortcut CTRL/CMD+SHIFT+DEL ('delete time') . This deletes the selected part and then automatically removes the gap.

NF2K

Post by NF2K » Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 am

Ah I forgot about that as I don't often use it. I think that deletes the time for all tracks doesn't it? So if there was content on other tracks that would be removed too?

Rivanni

Post by Rivanni » Sun May 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Yes, it would delete on other tracks too. But since OP talked about one long take this shouldn't be a problem.