Bouncing Audio Tracks / Prepping a Mix Session

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
diddly08

Bouncing Audio Tracks / Prepping a Mix Session

Post by diddly08 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm

Hey all,

So typically, when I'm mixing a track I've produced in Ableton, I export all the individual tracks out into audio, and move them into a new session to avoid a high CPU and also just to give it a different headspace.

That being said, apparently there isn't actually a way to bounce, freeze or flatten these from MIDI to Audio from the original sound source but that you can only do this by bypassing the effects and moving them back on to the (now dry, unprocessed) channel afterwards?

This is becoming an issue particularly around reverb's and delays used as creative inserts (not used as send's or auxiliary's), as then for example I can't add some more compression to the signal as it will be compressing the time based effects too.

Wondering what alternatives there are to this besides copying the channels and then all the FX over too, some of these are like 70+ track sessions so that would be extremely tedious. I could just bypass all reverb and delays and then just re do them in the mix session but just wondering what other options there might be.

How do you guys do your mix sessions on Ableton?

jlgrimes

Re: Bouncing Audio Tracks / Prepping a Mix Session

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 pm

diddly08 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:33 pm
Hey all,

So typically, when I'm mixing a track I've produced in Ableton, I export all the individual tracks out into audio, and move them into a new session to avoid a high CPU and also just to give it a different headspace.

That being said, apparently there isn't actually a way to bounce, freeze or flatten these from MIDI to Audio from the original sound source but that you can only do this by bypassing the effects and moving them back on to the (now dry, unprocessed) channel afterwards?

This is becoming an issue particularly around reverb's and delays used as creative inserts (not used as send's or auxiliary's), as then for example I can't add some more compression to the signal as it will be compressing the time based effects too.

Wondering what alternatives there are to this besides copying the channels and then all the FX over too, some of these are like 70+ track sessions so that would be extremely tedious. I could just bypass all reverb and delays and then just re do them in the mix session but just wondering what other options there might be.

How do you guys do your mix sessions on Ableton?
I'm not sure I completely understand.

What you are trying to do, you probably would want to create a new song with just the Audio files. That would reduce the clutter of the midi files and allow you to focus on tracking audio and mixing.

If needed, you could always copy the midi tracks from the old song into the new song if you needed to redo a part.

diddly08

Post by diddly08 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 pm

My Question was more being able to convert a production session into a mix one with all of the tracks just audio. You can do this in Ableton, of course but it doesn't look like you can convert all to audio (from the source, before the effects) and keep the effects on the channel for further editing (it bounces with the effects in the new audio track).

I've solved this by, deactivating the effects - cutting them, freezing and flattening only MIDI instances in my session, then pasting the effects back in to the audio track. that way I can still do a mix without a high CPU by taking out all synth vsts etc and I'm still using the same session just its purely audio now.

It's a complex situation, but I hope this makes sense!

DukeOfLizards

Post by DukeOfLizards » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:37 am

Why wouldn't you just bounce the said midi tracks to audio with any effects/automations already on there, then add/adjust additional effects/automations if needed? Curious as to whether one way is "better"than the other?