Ableton Clipping on Export (Render/Bounce)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davelake

Ableton Clipping on Export (Render/Bounce)

Post by davelake » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:31 pm

Before exporting my song out of Ableton it plays back in Ableton fine with no clipping or anything. When I play back the audio after the bounce the volume seems to have increased a bit and it is clipping.

My master chain includes Ozone running the mastering assistant. So there is a limiter on it. But it doesn't clip on playback in the DAW. Sounds fine there.

I do have Sonarworks on the master bus but it is disabled. I've even tried it with Sonarworks deleted. Same.

No Normalization.

Any ideas?

miyaru

Re: Ableton Clipping on Export (Render/Bounce)

Post by miyaru » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:49 pm

Try to lower the overall volume by the individual faders by around 3dB to start with, somewhere your signal is to hot. It has nothing to do with Sonarworks, I run that too, but does not cause such problems. Mostly it is a too hot signal!
Greetings from Miyaru.
Prodaw i7-7700, 16Gb Ram, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen, ESI M4U eX, Reason 12, Live Suit 10, Push2, Presonus Eris E8 and Monitor Station V2, Lexicon MPX1,
Korg N1, Yamaha RM1x :mrgreen:

davelake

Post by davelake » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks! That does work but it doesn't explain why it plays back fine in the Daw but is different outside of the application (and it makes my master quite than I want it to be).

The pre mastered signal is not clipping anywhere, I add ozone and it brings the volume up a bit with the processing it's doing and still no clipping anywhere, then I bounce and its clipping.

I can't figure it out!

pottering

Post by pottering » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:01 pm

If you are exporting MP3 (probably, because WAV won't have that problem), that's a consequence of how MP3 decoding works (it interpolates samples), and one of many reasons MP3 is crap for professional audio.
♥♥♥

davelake

Post by davelake » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 pm

This is happening on both mp3 and Wav/aiff export.

pottering

Post by pottering » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:57 am

nm
♥♥♥

bafometh

Post by bafometh » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:33 pm

I have the same issue. Clipping occurs in WAV after exporting. nothing even close to -6 on master. lowering things one by one helps but it is so frustrating to figure out which thing should be less loud. Everything is kept around -12/-18 on tracks but sometimes lowering faders more helps

[erm]
Site Admin

Post by [erm] » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:19 am

And you’re sure you don’t have the normalize option checked in the render options?
Ableton Forum Administrator