Disaster-proofing live performance set

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
emiska

Disaster-proofing live performance set

Post by emiska » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

Hi folks,

I'm curious: what are you doing to "disaster-proof" your live performance with Ableton - i.e. preparing for various worst case scenarios so that if a computer dies / midi controller gets stolen / other unforeseen circumstance arises, you can still perform a live show?

I perform using Ableton Push and a bass guitar hooked up to a laptop.

In a pinch, I can simply DJ my songs from files on a flash drive, but if I want to actually be able to retain the live performance element with Push and the bass guitar, it becomes more complicated.

Even if I have everything backed up on an XHD or a flash drive, I don't think it would simply be a matter of borrowing a laptop and plugging in the drive, given that I'd need to connect an interface which probably requires downloading a driver, plus I use some non-Ableton plugins in my live show, and I'm also starting to play around with Clyphx Pro in live performance.

If anyone has any thoughts on preparing for live show worst-case scenarios, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

fishmonkey

Re: Disaster-proofing live performance set

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:21 pm

serious disaster-proofing — at minimum — requires having redundant equipment on hand. things get more complicated the lower the amount of downtime that can be tolerated...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:22 pm

emiska wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am
Hi folks,

I'm curious: what are you doing to "disaster-proof" your live performance with Ableton - i.e. preparing for various worst case scenarios so that if a computer dies / midi controller gets stolen / other unforeseen circumstance arises, you can still perform a live show?

In a pinch, I can simply DJ my songs from files on a flash drive, but if I want to actually be able to retain the live performance element with Push and the bass guitar, it becomes more complicated.

Even if I have everything backed up on an XHD or a flash drive, I don't think it would simply be a matter of borrowing a laptop and plugging in the drive, given that I'd need to connect an interface which probably requires downloading a driver, plus I use some non-Ableton plugins in my live show, and I'm also starting to play around with Clyphx Pro in live performance.

If anyone has any thoughts on preparing for live show worst-case scenarios, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
You'd probably want to be safe and invest in a second laptop. (Although Im not doing that myself).

Protective bags/cases go a long way.
Not leaving your equipment in the car when you can help it (preventing theft/or being over exposed to extremely hot/cold temperatures).

If utilizing effects consider using only Ableton stock effects for live shows. IMO this somewhat decreases the chance of a crash. Also with Live shows it also helps learning the CPU saving/latency reducing strategies of plug-ins.

Figure out the lowest/stable buffer size you can deal with. The more you know beforehand, the quicker you can react to changes Live.

Remember the USB port positions for your devices and stick to it. Sometimes changing this up will confuse computer and it might not find devices correctly causing you to fiddle with stuff at the start of the show.

emiska

Post by emiska » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:17 am

fishmonkey wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:21 pm
serious disaster-proofing — at minimum — requires having redundant equipment on hand. things get more complicated the lower the amount of downtime that can be tolerated...
Word up. Thanks!

emiska

Post by emiska » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:18 am

jlgrimes wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:22 pm
emiska wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am
Hi folks,

Thanks!
You'd probably want to be safe and invest in a second laptop. (Although Im not doing that myself).

Protective bags/cases go a long way.
Not leaving your equipment in the car when you can help it (preventing theft/or being over exposed to extremely hot/cold temperatures).

If utilizing effects consider using only Ableton stock effects for live shows. IMO this somewhat decreases the chance of a crash. Also with Live shows it also helps learning the CPU saving/latency reducing strategies of plug-ins.

Figure out the lowest/stable buffer size you can deal with. The more you know beforehand, the quicker you can react to changes Live.

Remember the USB port positions for your devices and stick to it. Sometimes changing this up will confuse computer and it might not find devices correctly causing you to fiddle with stuff at the start of the show.
Sounds reasonable to me. Hadn't thought about that before about the USB port positions. Thanks!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 am

fade to a portable mp3 player, CD player, whatever... so I've heard.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 am
Yep, simple solution.

When I do DJ gigs I have a playlist playing on an iPhone connected to an aux input so if shit goes down it’s a simple case of fading up the playlist to take over while troubleshooting.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:35 pm

jestermgee wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 am
Tone Deft wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:03 am
Yep, simple solution.

When I do DJ gigs I have a playlist playing on an iPhone connected to an aux input so if shit goes down it’s a simple case of fading up the playlist to take over while troubleshooting.
Ditto this is what I have always done for live sets too.

coppethall

Post by coppethall » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 am

My sets for live performing involve using midi.

Also, I tend to use Kontakt, which makes things more scary.
I already had Reaktor bring down a set (although this was with Cantabile, NOT Ableton.)

If Ableton sampler could convert Kontakt instruments, that would be perfect!

I also understand Bitwig has a sandboxing feature, which would really be useful for Ableton.