Plugin Delay Compensation problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fastfx

Plugin Delay Compensation problem

Post by fastfx » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:31 am

Hi,

I've deleted my preferences file and template and started from scratch, I'm only using VST plugins.

Live 10.1.15
OSX 10.15.5

I have one audio track with a kick sample on it, perfectly lined up on the first beat. I have the metronome playing and its perfectly in sync.
As soon as I add a plugin (PSP vintage warmer 2) on my master channel the kick and metronome are out of sync and I have to turn 'plugin delay compensation' on to get the kick and metronome back in time together.

This would be fine but with plugin delay compensation on, I can't use any soft synth/midi track because there is horrible amounts of latency when you go to play it with plugin delay compensation on.

Any ideas what's going on here? I never used to get this problem.

Thanks

oratowsky

Re: Plugin Delay Compensation problem

Post by oratowsky » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am

unfortunately many plugins introduce latency the way you describe. VintageWarmer is one of them.

decreasing the buffer size will improve overall latency, but will of course not eliminate the latency introduced by plugins

VintgeWarmer is a high latency plugin for sure, so unfortunately not a good choice to use while writing ~ ~ ~

there are many lower latency compressor / saturator / limiter plugins available. even in Ableton you could try someting like OTT multiband preset + Saturator and i think you could get something in the ballpark of VintageWarmer

VintageWarmer is such a sick plugin. it's funny, that thing is like 15 yrs old now and still sounds amazing haha!

but yea, you will have to use a plugin like VintageWarmer after the writing phase of your song if you wanna be able to play with low latency like that.

fastfx

Re: Plugin Delay Compensation problem

Post by fastfx » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 pm

funnily enough I found the cause of the problem - Fab filter pro q 3

I agree with what you say, more plug induce latency etc and I know that, but what was strange was as soon as I took FF pro q 3 out of the set, I could have delay comp on and still play soft synths without latency.

Bypassing pro q 3 didn't do anything, I had to actually remove it.

I know pro q 3 is a big latency plugin when used in linear phase mode.