Solo only return when output is not to master

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
duaneandrews

Solo only return when output is not to master

Post by duaneandrews » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:59 pm

When all tracks are sent to the master I can solo a return and hear only the return signal (for example only the wet signal of a reverb). When I create a mix bus by creating a new audio track and sending everything to that I no longer hear just the return when I solo that track. Is it possible to solo only the return signal when the return is not sent to the master?

Tone Deft

Re: Solo only return when output is not to master

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:30 pm

to the right of the sends is the PRE/POST button, set that to PRE and the send's level won't be affected by the track's volume. I think that will get you there.

In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

duaneandrews

Post by duaneandrews » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks Tone Deft, that'll work almost perfectly, I'm looking at a context where for example I want to listen to the verb return on it's own to see if it might need eq but if I set the send to pre fader mode the volume going to the return will change if i've adjusted the fader during the mix.

Perhaps I could not use the faders to adjust volume while mixing and keep the send in pre mode though that seems like an odd work around. I'm still pretty new to Ableton but in Logic it's easy to monitor the return only when it's routed somewhere other than the master.

D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:06 pm

you're good, it sounds like you're at least twiddling with the right knobs. seems it's just a matter of patience and adjusting your workflow a bit. what you're asking about it's safe to say that any DAW would let you isolate sounds like that, it's just a matter of working with the software and working with it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

op_01

Post by op_01 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm

duaneandrews wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:59 pm
When all tracks are sent to the master I can solo a return and hear only the return signal (for example only the wet signal of a reverb). When I create a mix bus by creating a new audio track and sending everything to that I no longer hear just the return when I solo that track. Is it possible to solo only the return signal when the return is not sent to the master?
hello there, make sure all your tracks and return tracks outputs to the mix bus and the mix bus is outputted to the Master bus...

not sure if this is the "correct" way to do it but try this:
set monitoring on your mix bus to "In" (it gets blue) and right click on the mix bus "Send" button and select "Disable All sends".
you should be able to solo reverb/delay return tracks as intended now.

JoeBradleyATK

Post by JoeBradleyATK » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:27 pm

op_01 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:18 pm

make sure all your tracks and return tracks outputs to the mix bus and the mix bus is outputted to the Master bus...
set monitoring on your mix bus to "In" (it gets blue) and right click on the mix bus "Send" button and select "Disable All sends".

THIS IS THE WAY

To clarify for anyone else reading this, "right click on the mix bus "Send" button" is referring to this: