"there was an error when closing the file"

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
alexander_big

"there was an error when closing the file"

Post by alexander_big » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi,
I am having a nervous breakdown here. I keep getting the error ""there was an error when closing the file ..\path \samples \recorded . I have reinstaled ableton 5 times, restarts, deleted all temps all program data , everything I could think of. Have you ever encountered such a mess within 10.1.14?
It worked like a charm for several weeks then suddenly I get this error on and on at every record button press or save of project.

alexander_big

Re: "there was an error when closing the file"

Post by alexander_big » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:06 pm

UP. solved, anti-virus - uninstall

TLW

Post by TLW » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Anti-virus software can cause all kinds of odd behaviour in DAWs. If possible they’re probably best off while using a DAW (assuming your software is legitimate), failing that either with every file/directory location to do with the DAW listed in the anti-virus as “do not check” or with “on access” scanning switched off.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

trance_dude

Post by trance_dude » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

I also have this problem. I have disabled anti virus as well as dropbox and I still cannot save ANY file without saving as and creating a new filename.

Are there any other known programs or win functionality which are known to interfere with the saving process (which I notice creates a temporary file)?

Please help!!!! This basically makes the DAW unusable....!!!!

EDIT: also, every time live exits, it crashes. Also, I have tried running as administrator, and as not, and both problems still happen.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:57 pm

trance_dude wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm
I also have this problem. I have disabled anti virus as well as dropbox and I still cannot save ANY file without saving as and creating a new filename.

Are there any other known programs or win functionality which are known to interfere with the saving process (which I notice creates a temporary file)?

EDIT: also, every time live exits, it crashes. Also, I have tried running as administrator, and as not, and both problems still happen.
Live version?
OS?
What files are you saving (wave, midi, preset....) and where on your computer are you saving?

Could be anything but prob worth contacting Ableton if all the basics are in check. I would also try uninstall Live and make sure you choose to install to the default location just to be sure.

Chris72Lynch

Post by Chris72Lynch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:05 am

trance_dude wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:44 pm

I can save the project 20+ times, then suddenly get exactly what you are experiencing. Live gives "error when closing".

I'm running Windows 10
Ableton 10.1.25

I'm saving my project to a hard drive. I always "Collect all and Save",, and do it again when I manage the project . I create packs and upload to dropbox, I dont save projects to Dropbox.

I read the help page associated with this error, so I assumed I must've used a sample, because I had a copy of my sample directory on dropbox. I have copied files to a project dozens of times, but, I collect and save, and all the files are always in my pack, and on the local drive when I work on projects.

I can "Save As" a new name , it will work for a while, then throw the error. I've uninstalled Dropbox, reinstalled Ableton, used process explorer trying to find the file, etc. I've turned off windows defender real time protection, and the rest of it, just to see, and it still will throw this error. I've made sure the folder's permissions were right...can't figure it out.

When Live gives the standard crash box, it doesn't actually create a dump file, so I can't figure it out.

It just started happening about 2 weeks ago. I've reinstalled Windows, but, it didn' t fix.

trance_dude

Post by trance_dude » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I've also used process explorer to try to track down what is locking also to no avail.

If support is (hopefully) reading this thread: one other pattern: if I save a new file it always works. Then, for a period of about 20 minutes after that, I can overwrite that file with no problems. Only after 20 minutes does it start saying "there was an error when closing the file". so similar to the guy above

Really don't think it's an anti virus nor dropbox issue, since I have disabled both of those

trance_dude

Post by trance_dude » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:25 pm

OK I found a temporary solution that (kind of) works. Create two files, project1 and project2. start on proejct1. As soon as you get this error, saveas project2. You'll be able to save to that file for a while until this error pops up again. Then, switch back to project 1. A pain in the ass but better than saveas EVERY single time, and also no temporary files will accumulate in your directory. Hope this works for you.