audio track vs midi track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stereodrive

audio track vs midi track

Post by stereodrive » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Hi there!
I have a simple question: are midi tracks lighter than audio tracks? I mean, pure tracks without any instrument or effect.
I am asking this because I am planning to create a complex routing with OSC and midi controllers involved, and I would like to start from a very light basic and light environment.
Mac Studio (2022)
Apple M1 Max
32 GB Ram
14.3.1 Sonoma

yur2die4

Re: audio track vs midi track

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Yes. If you have no instruments, midi should be much much lighter. But if you do have instruments, then midi, or now instrument channels will potentially be more cpu hungry (depending on if there are fx).

Audio clips and channels have a few things to worry about. Receiving (if monitoring) and rendering the output of audio to however many outlets for starters. When you have audio clips, if those are not committed to ram, they’ll probably be referenced on your hard drive which can add up if you have a lot. And the audio clips have distinct properties depending on if they are warped or not... and if they’re warped, that too can have a potentially massive influence on cpu (especially complex pro warp mode).

The midi on the other hand is an extremely low amount of data (was made to easily transfer over cables in the 80s). It is a very lightweight executable sequence of data.

I’d love to be corrected if I’m wrong on this haha.