Controlling android devices via midi from Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hitachii

Controlling android devices via midi from Live 10

Post by Hitachii » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

Hello,

I'm fairly new to MIDI, so with all things I encountered so far, I'm not sure how far down the chain I need to go to make this work. Since I'll be controlling from Live 10 I figured I'd start here.

I'm running the Koala Sampler app on my Samsung Galaxy S10e. I want to be able to trigger the samples on the Koala Sampler app via midi channel in Live, but have never connected midi in through my phone before. I have gotten LK to work, but only used it once through the bluetooth connection.

To be honest, I'm not even sure where to start. I've connected the phone to my Macbook (Android to Mac :? ) in hopes that Live would recognize the phone as a midi device... somehow. For starters, does the Galaxy automatically connect midi through the usb connection, or do I need a separate app to set up the midi? with the Koala Sampler app running, Live recognizes no midi channel coming through my phone.

From here, I have no idea where to go! Thanks in advance for any help!

siehorst

Re: Controlling android devices via midi from Live 10

Post by siehorst » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi,
not Koala sampler, but these ones (G-stomper Producer & Studio):
https://www.planet-h.com/
can be linked via ableton link.
horst

TLW

Re: Controlling android devices via midi from Live 10

Post by TLW » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:51 pm

I can’t help you with the phone side of things (we’ve used iPhones for years, but never android). On the Mac side if you’ve connected the phone correctly it should show up in the Mac’s Audio/MIDI Setup application as an available device. Though it may need activating in there. My iPhone and iPad show up if I connect them over the LAN or by plugging it in using a USB to lightning cable. Maybe android isn’t so easy, sorry but I don’t know. Individual applications on the phone/ipad tend to each have their own settings to get them talking MIDI to the world.

Macs have native built-in MIDI networking, including over wi-fi/ethernet LANs, wi-fi peer-to-peer and Bluetooth, so it should be possible to get your setup to work assuming the phone and whatever application it’s running is capable of handling external MIDI input and output. Try connecting the phone to the LAN or to the Mac using a cable and launching a MIDI application on it then see if either phone or application show up in MIDI Setup. If they do then you’ll probably need to create a network session for them - the Apple help can guide you through this unless they’ve changed it recently. Google will also find you explanations of how to set about this.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.