Mixing in mono on a single speaker?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mr.adl

Re: Mixing in mono on a single speaker?

Post by mr.adl » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:55 pm

miyaru wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:31 pm
Thanks, I've got it working in Live, but it does nothing in Reason 11 Suite though, any tips maybe?
Man, no idea. I use Ableton as my only DAW. :mrgreen:

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:07 pm

So I ended up getting both the Behringer C50A and a Big Knob. My mixes started sounding better from the minute I clicked "place order" :P

On a weird side note, the logo plaque on the speaker says "Auratone". I thought the photos on Thomann's website had been mixed up somehow, but the speaker is right here on my desk now, and sure enough, it says "Auratone". No mention of Behringer, but it does say "Music Group" in tiny letters on the rear, so I'm wondering if they somehow acquired the name "Auratone"? I know they initially called them "Behritone".

TLW

Post by TLW » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:07 am

It certainly looks like Behringer/Music Group are somehow using the Auratone name. There’s a website at https://www.auratone.eu/?lang=en and Auratone is also listed as part of the Music Group “tribe” (to use their term). Music Group seem very good at quietly acquiring existing companies.

There’s also https://www.auratoneaudio.com/ which makes no mention I can see of Behringer/Music Group or anything to contradict the company still being family owned.

Whether the Behringer Auratone is the same design (only powered) quality as the Auratone Auratone I have no idea.
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:33 pm

sporkles wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:37 pm
Should I still use a Utility to convert my signal to mono first, or should I use some kind of stereo to mono cable?
No, do not convert to mono inside Live. Anyone listening in mono these days is listening to a stereo source on a mono playback device like a Bluetooth speaker or a cheap radio.

I've been using an old portable cassette deck that has a mono speaker for monitoring, so it has stereo inputs. It's perfect for catching overhyped bass and also overly congested mids.

Using a Y cable to a device with only a mono input will work but it's far from ideal because it's shorting together two outputs of your audio interface and could damage it. Better to buy or build a cheap passive mixer. You can scrounge schematics on teh interwebz if needed.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 pm

doghouse wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:33 pm
sporkles wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:37 pm
Should I still use a Utility to convert my signal to mono first, or should I use some kind of stereo to mono cable?
No, do not convert to mono inside Live. Anyone listening in mono these days is listening to a stereo source on a mono playback device like a Bluetooth speaker or a cheap radio.
i'm not following your logic here, why not collapse to mono in Live?
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 pm
Sorry, I should have been more specific in my response.

It depends on how you like to compare mixes. I keep three different speaker systems connected to a switcher and carefully balanced them to be all equal level, to avoid volume bias. Only one was mono, the other two were stereo. That way if the mix sounded off on any one of the three, I could adjust and re-compare until all three were OK.

If equal volume A-Bing isn't important, use Utility if it simplifies the cabling for you.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:02 am

doghouse wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:57 pm
fishmonkey wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:47 pm
Sorry, I should have been more specific in my response.

It depends on how you like to compare mixes. I keep three different speaker systems connected to a switcher and carefully balanced them to be all equal level, to avoid volume bias. Only one was mono, the other two were stereo. That way if the mix sounded off on any one of the three, I could adjust and re-compare until all three were OK.

If equal volume A-Bing isn't important, use Utility if it simplifies the cabling for you.
gotcha.

i have a button configured to collapse to mono on my audio interface.

i have my speakers calibrated too, but also find that hearing the mono mix through my mains is useful as well.
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here