Why doesn't breakpoint snap to grid? / How to adjust a breakpoint by typing in the value – please help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Christian_R

Why doesn't breakpoint snap to grid? / How to adjust a breakpoint by typing in the value – please help!

Post by Christian_R » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Hello!

I have noticed that my breakpoints doesn't snap to the grid, even when "Snap to grid" is on. What I mean is when I make a breakpoint on the volume to make the sound fade in, the breakpoint isn't 100% at the grid when I zoom a lot in.

It's never a problem when I mark for example 4 bars (so the line gets blue) and drag down the volume. But if I try to adjust the volume manually later, it doesn't snap 100%.

Is there a better way to do this? It would be so much better if I could just click on a breakpoint, then type in the decibel volume with the keyboard rather than adjust the volume with the cursor. It takes longer time and is inaccurate.

I hope this made sense, and that somebody has some good tips for this :)

I use Ableton Live 9 Suite.

Tone Deft

Re: Why doesn't breakpoint snap to grid? / How to adjust a breakpoint by typing in the value – please help!

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:57 pm

are you asking how to avoid automation controls from snapping to the grid?

check the manual, you'll learn the right terminology and find an answer to your question. tip - right click in an area to get these options. there are no options in the menus at the top of the screen or in the preferences to set this. there's only one other area to look, right clicking.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Da hand

Re: Why doesn't breakpoint snap to grid? / How to adjust a breakpoint by typing in the value – please help!

Post by Da hand » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Christian_R wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Is there a better way to do this? It would be so much better if I could just click on a breakpoint, then type in the decibel volume with the keyboard rather than adjust the volume with the cursor. It takes longer time and is inaccurate.

You can do this as of Live 10.1.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 am

Da hand wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm
Christian_R wrote:

Do you mean type in the values on each breakpoint? Thank you for the reply by the way!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:07 am

In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Christian_R wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 am
Da hand wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm
Christian_R wrote:

Do you mean type in the values on each breakpoint? Thank you for the reply by the way!
Yes! Sorry if that wasn't clear. I had been waiting for that feature for years and did a huge dance when they announced it in version 10.1 :D

In Live 9, the only aid in getting the right values is to activate a finer break point resolution by holding down the [CTRL](PC) / [CMD](Mac) key while dragging the break point.

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Da hand wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm
Yes! Sorry if that wasn't clear. I had been waiting for that feature for years and did a huge dance when they announced it in version 10.1 :D

In Live 9, the only aid in getting the right values is to activate a finer break point resolution by holding down the [CTRL](PC) / [CMD](Mac) key while dragging the break point.
That's good news. I think I will buy Live 10 soon, I just hope my Mac can handle it (I have iMac from 2013) :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:22 pm

double post.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm

good luck! it's quite the investment, over $500! Live isn't known for it's Arrange View, their gimmic is Session View. it took them until the last update to add envelope curves. so 1990s of them.

Reaper $60
https://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Logic Pro $200
too long of a link to post, google it.

Cubase is free for 30 days.
https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/trial/

Bitwig free demo version
https://www.bitwig.com/en/shop/webshop.html
https://www.bitwig.com/en/download

Live 10 basic is $375

even Pro Tools isn't that expensive compared to Live. that'd be a great option just for the community support, nothing like the void of support you get with Ableton, constant complaints on this forum about those guys.
https://my.avid.com/get/pro-tools-ultimate-trial
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:23 pm
good luck! it's quite the investment, over $500! Live isn't known for it's Arrange View, their gimmic is Session View. it took them until the last update to add envelope curves. so 1990s of them.
Ummm it is a lot less than $500 to upgrade from Live 9 to 10.

People who want to make music make music with Live just fine. One can make excuses, or just get on with things.

As for Arrangement View, it is true that I feel Live 10 is really the legitimate upgrade to Live 8 in terms of features that I personally wanted and felt Live 9 was kind of only half-way there. But I made music on 8 and on 9 just fine - for example, taking 10 more seconds to make my own envelope curves. Did all these "missing features" hurt my music results, not a bit.

Every DAW out there has things missing that some other DAW has. Choosing between them just comes down to personal needs and preferences.
Tone Deft wrote:
even Pro Tools isn't that expensive compared to Live.
Lol, come on.... a one year subscription of using Pro Tools costs the same as a Live equivalent perpetual license. A perpetual Pro Tools license costs $3400.00 !!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:29 am

Da hand wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 am
Every DAW out there has things missing that some other DAW has. Choosing between them just comes down to personal needs and preferences.
I'm feeling this. I've been devoted to Live alone for 15+ years. my G.A.S. $ goes towards accessories but I never stopped to consider my own needs. lower latency and Comping, stuff that's fun with a guitar. using a DAW that was built around what I know only as Arrange View. I started with Acid, Reason and Cakewalk before Live. I screwed up drinking the Ableton Kool-Aid.
Tone Deft wrote:
even Pro Tools isn't that expensive compared to Live.
Lol, come on.... a one year subscription of using Pro Tools costs the same as a Live equivalent perpetual license. A perpetual Pro Tools license costs $3400.00 !!
please correct me if I'm wrong, I've never downloaded Pro Tools. doubt I ever will, gut feeling.
https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDeta ... store=shop
$30 for a one year subscription. your example is a straw man argument. shoot for the strongest data point you can find without regard for context. no hobbyist pays that much and they do market/sell to the hobbyists' wallets. I might be wrong but you're selling me that I'm off by $3k!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ozinga

Post by ozinga » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:29 am

please correct me if I'm wrong, I've never downloaded Pro Tools. doubt I ever will, gut feeling.
$30 for a one year subscription. your example is a straw man argument. shoot for the strongest data point you can find without regard for context. no hobbyist pays that much and they do market/sell to the hobbyists' wallets. I might be wrong but you're selling me that I'm off by $3k!!
That is $ 30 per month :)

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 am

ozinga wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am
Tone Deft wrote:

Exactly, starting at $30 US per month for the basic Pro Tools. Starting at $80 per month for the Full Pro Tools.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Da hand wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 am
ozinga wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:17 am
Tone Deft wrote:

Exactly, starting at $30 US per month for the basic Pro Tools. Starting at $80 per month for the Full Pro Tools.
thanks for clarifying. looking at their page now they say 'per year' but the money is on a per/month charge, sneaky f--er marketing. $360 every year to pay for a DAW. Ableton costs LESS than that every (2-4?) years. that makes soooo much more sense. I thought I was looking at the Live Lite version of Pro Tools, which would be interesting as an add-on tool. forget that noise, Ableton udersells them by design, makes sense. PT can charge premium money from their industry positioning.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Christian_R

Post by Christian_R » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Da hand wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:01 am
Ummm it is a lot less than $500 to upgrade from Live 9 to 10.
Do you know what the upgrade costs? I couldn't find anything on Ableton's site, just the normal prize :)