Using MOTU M2 Interface Loopback in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
javierf55

Using MOTU M2 Interface Loopback in Ableton?

Post by javierf55 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Hello to all Ableton enthusiasts

I recently bought a MOTU M2 sound interface, which I think is fantastic.

However, I have not been able to use the loopback function in Ableton 10.

The interface manual is very poor explaining the loopback function and there is only one video available on YouTube but it is not for Ableton.

Has anyone been able to use the loopback function and could you please explain how to use it?

The goal is to be able to record YouTube video clips in Ableton for guitar practice.

Thanks to everyone beforehand :)

Tone Deft

Re: Using MOTU M2 Interface Loopback in Ableton?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:30 pm

looopback isn't a term used around here. can you elaborate? I have no clue what you mean. feeding and output back into an input with an audio cable?

do you mean virtual midi ports like LoopMIDI (PC)? windows has problems with those, info is on the interwebs.
help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209774225-How-to-setup-a-virtual-MIDI-bus
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

javierf55

Post by javierf55 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Thanks for getting in touch; loopback is a capability that new interfaces are bringing. Le me place this link here that explains what it is and how to use it in Performer Lite but I've not been able to see the loopback inputs in Ableton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjKymjc_R8

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:41 pm

nice video reference, straight to the point, appreciated.

sexy looking audio interface.

traditionally sound cards have a MONITOR MIX which lets you monitor (listen to directly) both the sound going into your sound card and the sound going out of the sound card. the MIX amount adjusts how much of each you hear.

now with this Loopback feature is seems that it lets to record the input to your sound card and the output at the same time into your DAW. this is a new feature I haven't heard of before. Ableton doesn't support it, don't know if it's on their radar either.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

javierf55

Post by javierf55 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm

Thank you!! pitty to hear that Ableton does not support this feature. Let's see if they soon integrate it as it seems to be very handy.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:00 pm

javierf55 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm
Thank you!! pitty to hear that Ableton does not support this feature. Let's see if they soon integrate it as it seems to be very handy.
sing its praises! if people want it, this is the place to make it known.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

javierf55

Post by javierf55 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Found something similar, not by using the MOTU driver, but it makes the same.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... plications

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:52 am

if your interface has a loopback function you can get it to work with Live (or any DAW for that matter)...

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:36 pm

I have a Scarlett which has this functionality. Usually the Interface will have an input thats named "loopback". That is the input you should use.

On the focusrite, the loopback is input is listening to sound played out the main out of your interface (which could be Youtube, someone singing in the interface on a Mic, Anything played in Ableton itself).

Also be sure to keep input monitoring off or you will get a very nasty feedback noise which could damage your speakers and/or ears so be careful and be careful doing this at loud levels if you don't got a good feel of working with this.

javierf55

Post by javierf55 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:27 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:41 pm
nice video reference, straight to the point, appreciated.

sexy looking audio interface.

traditionally sound cards have a MONITOR MIX which lets you monitor (listen to directly) both the sound going into your sound card and the sound going out of the sound card. the MIX amount adjusts how much of each you hear.

now with this Loopback feature is seems that it lets to record the input to your sound card and the output at the same time into your DAW. this is a new feature I haven't heard of before. Ableton doesn't support it, don't know if it's on their radar either.

Hi to all people interested in knowing how to loopback a video or any other audio directly into Ableton using the MOTU M2 interface, please take a look at this step by step video sent to me by Motu customer support.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/django_prod/t ... -17-09.mp4

lattetown

Post by lattetown » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 am

I'm able to record computer audio with my MOTU M2 in Ableton Live 10 on my Mac!
  • Under preferences, set Audio Input Device to M2
  • Click the Input Config button and make sure the Stereo Inputs 1/2 and 3/4 are highlighted
  • Add an Audio Track, and under Audio From select Ext In and 3/4, and arm the track to record
  • Start recording and switch to the other app and start playing audio. You should see the level meters moving and the audio waveform being recorded. If not, click the Audio From dropdown with 3/4 in it and see if the levels are being routed to 1/2 instead

this_drives_me_nuts

Post by this_drives_me_nuts » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi lattetown,

I recently got started on tempting making music with a computer and i bought a Motu M4 with the loopback feature as major attractive point. The M4 comes with Perfomer Lite & Ableton Live Lite. The loopback function works well in Performer Lite, unfortunately I am not able to get that loopback function working in Ableton.
I have followed your instruction on my PC, and still I cannot get any audio signal from the PC (Youtube, MP3...) into the M4.

Thanks for,your suppor & happy new Year!

HorseOnTheThirdFloor

Post by HorseOnTheThirdFloor » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:33 am

I have enable all channels 1 to 8 in mono and stereo options-> preferences -> audio -> input config.
the loopback function is on channel 7 and 8.

I will do a YouTube tutorial tonight on the channel : HorseOnTheThirdFloor.

hope this helps :D

this_drives_me_nuts

Post by this_drives_me_nuts » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi HorseOnTheThirdFloor,

I finally solved my problem with the loopback function. Motu kindly gave me some advices. However, loopback can be used with channels 5/6 & 7/8. 7/8 being something like loopback-mix. To tell the truth, i cannot tell the difference in both my DAW and my ears.

If you can explain the difference between the 2 options and what they are used for, it would be great.

Best regards

drown

Post by drown » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:18 pm

Using macOS Mojave and Live 11 I can confirm that this DOES NOT work. I can get the loopback routing to work with Garageband but no luck in Live 11. And I have the Motu drivers installed. Likely that this works with Windows and those drivers but until Ableton figures something out (or somebody can clue me in) this doesn't seem to work in Live 11 on a Mac.

Edit: This does not work in Live 10, either. When looking in the Sound preferences under Inputs the meter is moving so it's obvious that the interface is looping back. But Live refuses to pull the signal into a track.

Edit 2: Turns out I'm a fool (no big shock). Be sure to enable microphone access in the Security & Privacy control panel under System Preferences in macOS. Once I re-enabled that, I was able to get loopback to record into Live in the 3/4 stereo channel.